Urgent Care :: Burn- Please Help!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 pm   Burn- Please Help!

Last night during a water change my 8yr old Red Ear Slider (f) was blasted with some very hot water.
Her eyes instantly swelled shut and she began foaming at the mouth and nose.
She also in her panic (we believe) smashed into the side of the tank and her nose was a bit bloody also.
We removed her from the tank and let her cool off in room temp water. By the time we went to bed she had stopped foaming. She was very lethargic but would move if she was rubbed on the foot.
We made her a set up where we had the water heated and she was able to have her head above water. We kept her basking lamp on her and in this set up for the night
Today her eyes are still swollen but she is able to open them a bit wider when she tries, she is also a bit more mobile but not to her full state.
I have noticed that today she has developed a wheeze and her nose looks like it’s has foam in it.

What can I do? How can I remove the foam and clear her airways?
I have started today with putting some cod liver oil on her eyes and will do that once a day as I’ve read.

Please help.
amy_fleet

Post Posted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 pm   Re: Burn- Please Help!

Cod liver oil is for vitamin deficiency, not burns or eye irritation. You might want to try something like neosporin, but I would have her seen by a vet if her condition is not improving. Is she dry docked at all?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:34 pm   Re: Burn- Please Help!

She went to the vet today and got the stamp of good health.
Apparently I did everything right and other than her rapidly shedding skin and and a raw patch or tow she is in good health.
We had an antibiotic shot given to her just in case which will work over the next 3 days.

I posted this yesterday during the weekend when I was at a loss for how to proceed but managed to get her seen today.

Thanks for responding :)
amy_fleet

Post Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:27 am   Re: Burn- Please Help!

Good to hear, hope she has a speedy recovery!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:20 pm   Re: Burn- Please Help!

I hope she feels better soon!
Kingbird44

Return to Urgent Care