Habitat - Indoor :: Both My RES havent basked since moving

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:52 pm   Both My RES havent basked since moving

Hello everyone, not sure how i use this website. i dont even know if this is the right place to be typing this.

I recently moved and built an indoor pond for both my red eared sliders. they have a completely new setup which i know can cause them not to bask but they have been in their new set up for a little over a month.

water temperature is 76F and basking area is 90F.

I have seen them get on the basking area because i placed food there for them but i havent seen them basking, not once. I am at the point of getting a camera so that i can check in on them during the day to see if they bask at all. Everything about their characteristics are completely normal. They swim all day, they are social when we come up to the pond, they are eating the same, they dont mind being picked up and pet. They are active and dont seem to be sick or anything like that. Im just getting concerned because its been over a month.

Any help or suggestions?

Thank you.
ehd1990

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:23 am   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

My RES took about a month to start basking again, but I barely see them do it. The only reason I know is because they always do a mess up there. How often do you check on them ? Could you post a picture of the set up ?
Maybe you could make it look more natural, or change the set up if possible.
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:32 am   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

I check on them everyday of the week after I come home from work. When I am home, I frequent them often as they are in my living room. I have pictures but I don't know how to post them on here. Can you help me?
ehd1990

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:51 am   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

I personally always go to a website like pixenli (https://www.pixenli.com/), upload my pic, and then just copy/paste the link down (you don't need to use bbc code it's fine). I would avoid photobucket since now people need to create an account to see it and it's annoying af :p
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:43 pm   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

Voir l'image en grand

Voir l'image en grand

Voir l'image en grand

So this is their setup. As you can see, they are willing to climb up the ramp and get on the basking area but they don't stay up there
ehd1990

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:37 pm   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

They may feel a little to wide open and with the walls can't see what's around them. Make a small diorama for them. Directly under lamps make a hill , mountain anything for them to climb on to see all around them. Turtles love to climb makes them feel safe just seeing all. May have to adjust lights depending how high you make it for the temps. The outer edges built some trees and glue them down. Hobby shops sells lots of nice premade one's for train set dioramas. I would not use plant's in pots they may get on them and escape. Something like a wooden dowel and use parts of plastic plants to make the tops be creative. Maybe some bushes they can hide behind here and there if they just want to dry off and feel safe out of the heat. If I was a turtle I would like that and feel comfortable and safe.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:14 pm   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

Alright I'll give that a try and see what happens. Thank you guys for the input. I appreciate it very much
ehd1990

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm   Re: Both My RES havent basked since moving

Temporarily, I would move the basking lamp closer to the top of the ramp... let them know they're missing out on it.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor