General Care Discussion :: My Turtle Is Not Eating?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:05 am   My Turtle Is Not Eating?

I have noticed how for the past few weeks my turtle hasn't not been eating her food. I have also noticed when I clean the tank that there are green like flakes and clumps that I'm thinking are her poop. Why is she not eating? She normally eats a variety of freeze dried foods and we are getting into live. She can't eat lettuce because gets diarrhea really easily. Can someone help?
roxytheturtlee

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:20 am   Re: My Turtle Is Not Eating?

Hello and welcome,
If you live in the US Fall is here with winter on it's way. Turtles know this and normally slow down eating.
Are those clumps/flakes floating ? Under normal circumstances turtle poop should not , too much fat can cause it to float.
Understand about the diarrhea with real veggies. Round head lettuce can cause that and not very nutritious. Ever try A green leaf or romaine type ? Every try a veggie based pellet like Koi veggie food , I use with good results.

Good read here: http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Could really be anything , observe well and keep offering food will take when she's ready. May just be a little gastrointestinal upset ?
How old is she ? What size ? She for sure ? Until they reach sexual maturity around 4" it's a guess.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:40 pm   Re: My Turtle Is Not Eating?

litefoot wrote:Hello and welcome,
If you live in the US Fall is here with winter on it's way. Turtles know this and normally slow down eating.
Are those clumps/flakes floating ? Under normal circumstances turtle poop should not , too much fat can cause it to float.
Understand about the diarrhea with real veggies. Round head lettuce can cause that and not very nutritious. Ever try A green leaf or romaine type ? Every try a veggie based pellet like Koi veggie food , I use with good results.

Good read here: http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Could really be anything , observe well and keep offering food will take when she's ready. May just be a little gastrointestinal upset ?
How old is she ? What size ? She for sure ? Until they reach sexual maturity around 4" it's a guess.

She is actually very big about 10 or 11 inches for sure. Not sure about how old. We got her from a owner who wasn't taking good care of her:( Luckily, we found out today that she LOVES earthworms, but cannot feed that as her whole diet of course. We have tried romaine and the reactions are the same. The clumps/flakes are not floating, which I am guessing is her poop. I feel like this might because of her not eating as much. But thank you for the help! And I will continue to find more live foods since she LOVES them :)
roxytheturtlee

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm   Re: My Turtle Is Not Eating?

Most always take live food worms , crickets , snails , minnows ... You may have to stun the minnows if she getting slow at her young age so she can catch them.
If your ground freezes in winter I found walmarts keep in the fishing dept live worms of all type's in them year round even up north.
Ask a LPS nearby for a sample of that koi veggie food , they will give you some to test to see if she likes it.
Keep in touch and photo's always welcome ! What's her name Piggley want's to say Hi and check her out.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion