Urgent Care :: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 pm   Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

How big is your turtle? - 8 inches or so.
How long have you had it? - 30 years.

What is the water temperature? - 82
Did you use a thermometer? - No
Are you using a water heater? - No
How much water is in there? - 9 Gallons.
Are you using a water conditioner? - No
Are you using any filtration? - No, but change water everyday

What is the basking temperature? - about 90
Is there a basking light? - No, just sunlight
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? - 4 hours a day for sunbathing
What kind is it or what is it made out of? -
Is there a UVB light? - No

What have you been trying to feed it? - zoom recap Pellets, fresh fish meat (on occasion)
When was the last time your turtle ate? - Yesterday. I feed her daily(0.4g)

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? - 14 Gallons
Is the tank near a window? - Yes,
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? - a quiet place.

Have you read the Basic Care section? - Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? - Yes

I had 1 red ear sliders that's about 30 years. I found it's shell not shiny and not such green as others about 10 years ago. It's shell is so weird and looks like full of wrinkle on it. It's dull and dark and even can't see the fringe. I tried to feed her with pellet that have crude protein around 23%.I tried to feed her veggie but she don't eat it at all. I wondered if there is some toxic substance around her living place.
Attachments
new3.jpg
new1.jpg
new1.jpg (44.74 KiB) Viewed 10129 times
new2.jpg
rueilin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:10 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

So I may be able to understand better you have a lot of no's on questions. What state / country/climate zone you live in for temps ?

Did you mean turtle about 30 years old and you have it a few years ?

May be misprint or your (0) key is broken (?) but 9 gallons water for an 8" turtle , did you mean 90 gallons of water?

Tank 14 gallon (?) for a 8" turtle or is a 140 gallon tank ? In the US a 14 would be a bio cube at 15" long x 15" wide ?

Understanding it's habitat better will only help. Thanks'
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:48 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

I stay in Hong kong, so i can only take a small plastic box for turtle.Yes.14 gallon box, and 2/3 filled.
My turtle is 30 years old, and i took care of it when it was tiny baby. I've seen many pepole keep turtle in small box but still have healthy shell. I wonder if fluoride in water that cause the problem. Thanks.
rueilin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:39 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

Thanks' for the clarification for me. Does Hong Kong water plants offer any details of whats in the water. The US water companies must by law tell us what's in it. Having concern , if you can get some carbon and run your water throw it will help to remove those chemicals and or any toxins .
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=15621

There are a couple other users from Hong Kong, I don't know if they are active. Maybe they can help with what kind of healthy set up would be possible there?
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:14 pm   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

Rveilin , Your girl is 30 years old right now I am not concerned about the shell , overall doesn't look bad for a turtle at her age ! If you trying to get UVB rays pass a window forget it. UVB rays can Not penetrate glass ! More direct sun light will help over time. The colors normal when turtles get older.

It's the not eating !!! Here the weather is changing to fall and a turtles instinct tell them that too , eating slows down. How many veggies your girl get's could explain the shell from lack of vitamins. She should be on 70-80* veggies for her age ! May just be tired of the food you give her , they are just like children when it comes to food. Some female's go through life laying only a very few clutches and some never ? Seen some at a old age start producing eggs. Is you turtle gravid ? Any other signs of being gravid ? Do you know how to check ? If so they do stop eating at a point to allow room for the eggs to grow.
Try different food // safe veggies , must eat before other problems come up.

Now if no eggs present she may be ill ? It take's a very long time for problems to show up and turtles even hide problems even to a Herp Vet ! Lots of turtle owners are not trained to observe well or listen to what a turtle is telling them. When signs are noticed there are often the latter signs from a problem going on for a long while. Sure it hard in Hong Kong try different foods. A live worm turtles love , live minnow , cricket ? Any dandelions over there sliders love them ?
Then the age? Captive turtles kept in great habitats can live 40-50 years but in lessor habitats less , she is old , hopes she has more time in her ! Try if you can at her age to offer more.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:39 pm   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

I think the turtle is eating, she just doesn't eat veggies because shes not used to them...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

A bit of "wrinkling" is normal for older turtles, I don't think I would worry about it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:40 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

I just curious why her shell grow like that. Her shell has this problem long time ago, and I'm worrying about if aging plastic pipe and plastic box dissolved toxic substance in water. I've seen local RES and searching in many website but still haven't a talk about that. She is healthy I guess. She laid many eggs every summer and climb very fast chasing me for food. She can have sunlight not passing through window. Yes, she just doesn't eat veggies because shes not used to them. She likes apple and pear (Are they too sweet for her?). Maybe she have eaten too many pellets and leak of some vitamins.
rueilin

Post Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:36 am   Re: Turtle shell looks like full of wrinkle.

Water quality could be an issue, but I've seen pictures of wild turtles with similar patterns though not as pronounced.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care