Urgent Care :: Terrifying thing just happened

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:14 am   Terrifying thing just happened

So, I just started a water change with my python. It started flowing and I went outside where the outtake is for a minute, and I noticed it wasn't flowing. I didn't understand why. I went back to the tank, and Sedge's head was IN the tubing, and a cloud of blood. I immediately pulled it off. I thought I killed him! But he SEEMS unscathed aside from one bloodshot eye. He is moving around a bit slowly and nervously, but he is moving normally and blinking normally. I'm freaked out though. I don't know if it created suction through his eye and he lost a bunch of blood. I hope he's not in shock. I'm not sure what to do right now besides watch him. I don't know if I need to take him to the vet. Should I stop the water change? I only removed a little water.

Edit: 5 minutes later and his eye doesn't even look bloodshot anymore. I know you can take blood from a mouse through the vein behind it's eye. Maybe that is what happened? I might be more freaked out than he is now. Holy crap. :shock: :shock:

I think I'll give him a pellet or two? If you give blood they give you cookies...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:32 am   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Wow ! Turtles are very hardy Sedge should be ok. Observe more so for a few days ! Blood can come the eyes very easy but do keep him clam and let him rest more , just observe. Just this week let the maintenance go so he doesn't get excited , let him rest calmly will help. You may be more worked up than he is, clam down.

Python's or any vac connected to a pump (like I have ) to make maintenance easier has there draw backs , just something else to watch out for. Safety with a turtle is just like having to watch a child all the time things happen. Just me but when I do big/ full maintenance I take Piggley out the tank. Regular small maintenance I let him in tank so he can help.
Attachments
07-rid-064_slowdownenjoy_life_fina[1].gif
07-rid-064_slowdownenjoy_life_fina[1].gif (1.39 KiB) Viewed 8132 times
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:37 am   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Thanks litefoot. I called a local vet so see if there was anything else I should watch for (they will call me back I think).

Ok, yeah I feel bad the nitrates are probably pretty high right now for the fish, but I think you're right- I'll just add back the gallon or so I took out and let it go another week.

It's crazy because he was unattended for like 30 seconds, a minute tops!
I'm definitely taking him out from now on during water changes. Only thing is it's pretty chilly in the house, so I don't want him to get cold. Might have to set up a box with a space heater or something for water changes.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:15 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Wow, that's scary! I don't use the Python anymore, does your still have the gravel cleaner attachment? If you use a pump (I use one like litefoot) there is no way for the turtle to get stuck.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:31 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

The vet was not too helpful (we can see you today but we can't give you any advice over the phone). I don't think driving him somewhere for a half hour is going to help him unless there is really something wrong.

No attachment. I haven't had the Python too long, I've only used it 4 or 5 times probably.

If I get one of those pumps, can I use the python tubing with it?
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:54 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Oh my God wow that's freaky !!
Well if it's easy for you then I don't see any problem with taking him out during cleaning session. I do that sometimes with mine, they are a bit grumpy sometimes but then I give them a treat and they forgive me.

Pellets ? Give him a juicy shrimp ! :lol:
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:02 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Haha fair enough PokePony, but the treats (shrimp, crickets, mealworms) are freeze dried. And I actually kind of think he likes pellets more. Or at least, they smell stronger so he looks for them harder.

My house tends to be in the low 60s. He reacts similarly to your guys to being taken out (grumpy), but if I'm gonna do that this time of year I just feel like I need to warm up a spot for him, which I can do.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:37 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Yeah, you can use a pump with a Python hose/attachments.

Basically, my setup for draining is as goes:
Closest drain -> Hose (1/2" ID) -> MarineLand MaxiJet Pump

You will want to find a way to secure the hose next to the drain. I just wrap the hose around the faucet, a heavy book will work as well.

My place gets very cold too... the bathroom is usually the warmest room. How long do you need to have him out? If it's for a couple of hours or less, I just fill a large storage container with warm water and leave it in the bathtub, then add the turtles in there.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:05 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Yeah good idea, I'll set something up in a week or so when I do a water change. He would only be out for less than an hour I'd say. I have the 50 foot python so I just let the water go into the backyard. Once there is snow I might have to stop that though.

He seemed fine until lights out, so hopefully he's all good. Did a good job scaring the crap out of me though.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:16 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

I got that free vac with my FX but think it's crap still in box. Would never pay money for it ! I have my own as Steve , a DIY that is about the same with a pump. Only difference is I use a strainer inline for any big waste .

Just shows how resilient turtles / Sedge are ! More so than us ! Check on him for the night and you go and get a peaceful nights sleep have a glass of wine relax ! All's good it's over.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:28 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Haha thanks

He's now sleeping harder than I've ever seen him sleep...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:00 pm   Re: Terrifying thing just happened

Oh I didn't think about room temp. Here in winter it's like 22-25 C so I never have this problem.
PokePony

Return to Urgent Care