Feeding and Nutrition :: Help with diet tips?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:13 am   Help with diet tips?

I have a 25 year old RESturtle i got a few months ago, i posted about him in urgent care a while ago. Happy to say he is healthy and fine now!
I want to give him a pellet-free diet, but the problem is that he refuses to eat veggies. We tried for a while, but he just spits it right out. Also tried veggieclip and leaving it there while we are at school/work.

Now he gets "jello shots" every other day, got the inspiration from this forum. Searched my [---] of when it came to the veggies he can and cannot eat, nutritional value of each veggie etc. Based of that information and the amount of nutrients he needs each week, i could calculate my way to a combo of veggies, cuttlebone, amount of pellets and that was needed for the right jello shots so i could use it as a staple. I would still like him to eat more raw veggies tho. We grow our own veggies too, but he still refuses everything. He also gets some fruit about once a month as a snack that he really loves.

Anyone have any diet tips, or things i can use to give some variation? Before this he had a 100% pellet diet.
Stine

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:30 pm   Re: Help with diet tips?

Just go with a tough love approach and he will eventually eat it. I think some pellets are OK too, but that's up to you.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 am   Re: Help with diet tips?

Good read here : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Also for some hard headed turtles I give a Koi veggie based pellet and or veggie wafers just to get some variation in them. The tough love approach does work too.
Surprised home grown doesn't work Piggley loves home grown over those chemically laden veggies OTC. The taste is so much better ! Guess I have him and me spoiled.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:38 pm   Re: Help with diet tips?

Thanks for some tips! Completely forgot this thread when i started and internship as a refugee teacher, loads of work.
Yeahknow some pellets are okay, but i want to try out more a "nature diet". Haha. Tried the tough love approach several times. He is still stubborn. I guess i would be to after 25 years of pellets. He actually ate some shredded carrots though. But every kid of salad is something he really refuses to eat.
The homegrown veggies all go into his homemade food :) And i live in a country that has really strict laws when it comes to chemicals in food and such, so most veggies here are almost organic :)
He is spoiled rotten, even the vet called him spoiled. When we had the checkup after his first vet visit and round of meds (he showed some symptoms of RI when we got him.) He gave us praise because he said he had rarely seen a water/swampturtle so energetic, awake, trustfull and attentive to his surroundings. And this turtle was scared shitshitless of anything that moved or made a noise a few months ago.
Stine

Post Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:27 pm   Re: Help with diet tips?

Piggley's still waiting on photo's of his setup , may want to come over for a swim party. Piggley does same thing when I read to him in your other picture. When I put the book down and turn on TV he turns around and watches it. We have some spoiled turtles/kids .
litefoot

Return to Feeding and Nutrition