General Care Discussion :: Shell coloring.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:17 pm   Shell coloring.

My turtle has always been a dark brown. Started shedding his scutes and now he is a light tan with brown spots. He's acting normal and his shell isn't soft and it doesn't smell weird. Couldn't find any info or many pictures on the internet of a red eared slider of that color. Is his color fine or should i bring him to the vet because of a shell problem? Tried uploading a picture but it was apparently too large of a file
Attachments
20171102_151322-1086x1271.jpg
Last edited by Timothytidwell28 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:45 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Resize photo smaller will work.

In the amount of time I have in hobby I have seen once in awhile a shell go lighter . Most yes gets darker and patterns do change but this does happen and nothing to worry about. May just be something in it's DNA. Lets make sure with a photo but does sounds normal.

Just A Note : Always let a turtle shed the scutes on it's own. Never try to help by pulling them off to help. That could expose bone and or damage the new growth under the keratin layer even pull some of the new pattern or color off.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:04 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Figured out how to resize it. And yes I let them fall off on there own. That's why I haven't cleaned the algae off the other ones they are all starting to peel and I don't want to tamper with them.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:21 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Way to much algae to really tell anything. Even where the scutes already shed more algae is forming.

Use a child's soft tooth brush and gently clean ( in a circular pattern ) with some warm water will help some . You may need to adjust it's habitat will help with that algae before you get full blown fungus and mold .
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:26 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

The three in the center just shed so that light tan and brown spots are the color of his shell. I'll try to clear the algae off the other sites but they are in the process of shedding so should I still clean them?
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:37 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Just me but I would "Gentily" with a child's soft tooth brush. Stay away from any of the keratin edges peeling up. Will make it easier to shed the remaining scutes. In nature turtles shed to grow but also when a problem comes up to stay healthy.

A close up of the spots will help and a photo of the full tank setup too !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:38 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Ok I can do that when I get home later tonight and I'll put up more pictures.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:45 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

You could stop at a drug store and get a surgical scrub to help clean it. OTC as povidone-iodine solution or as betadine. Clean shell rinse it off / dry then take photo when "dry" is a must.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm   Re: Shell coloring.

Will do. Was planning on that anyway just in case.
Timothytidwell28

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:20 am   Re: Shell coloring.

He's become melanastic, so there will be some darker/gray areas. Clean him up and give us a good look :)

For cleaning algae on the shell, I usually gently scrub, rinse, wipe and repeat. Betadine is good and a good surgical scrub should have chlorhexidine (Hibiclens). Just be aware that Betadine might cause stains if you spill it and Hibiclens is a bit soapy and can make the turtle slippery before you rinse him.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion