General Care Discussion :: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:17 am   Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

I took Donatella to the vet yesterday because she has some spots on her shell I was concerned about. The vet told me to use betadine on them and they should clear up and that otherwise she looks very healthy. She also confirmed my suspicion that Donna is gravid. I want to take her outside and give her a chance to lay the eggs. I live in north Florida and it’s actually starting to get a little chilly some days so I’m wondering how cold is too cold to take her out?

I bought a good size plastic storage bin and a couple bags of soil I’m going to put in it. There’s not really anywhere around my house I feel comfortable letting her loose without being right there with her and I just don’t think she’ll do anyrhing with me standing over her. Any tips would be much appreciated!
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:42 am   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

If you have a large container you can always use that !

Personal opinion here: The more natural and simple, the better. If she doesn't like it try adding some fake plants and a covered area. Try to put more soil on a side so it is higher. Turtles like to lay eggs where it goes up, because it means it is farther away from the water. Not necessary, just a tip in case she needs encouragement.
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:18 am   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

I would not let her outside on her own unless you can give the time to fully watch her. Turtles can be very fast when they want to. They are great hiders , diggers and climbers ! Yes you can try a DIY nesting area but most are very picky.
Example , when I had a in ground pond I made a large 15'x 10' nesting area. I use several mixtures found on the internet , placed mixtures into a grid all over this area. Lots of time and money went into this. My Minnie would never use it , always went on the other side of pond in the garden area ! Very picky. Even used that garden mixture in nesting area and still went on other side of pond. Lots of long time turtle keepers found gardens been area of choice for there turtles. If you don't have a garden ask a neighbor , if any eggs remove them and dispose of them. You want to keep neighbor happy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:16 pm   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

She'll let you know when she wants to out by frantically wanting to climb out. How long has she been gravid?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:10 am   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

I though I noticed what I thought might be eggs when I had her out around hurricane Irma. She hasn’t been acting different and has been eating well. I asked the vet when I should worry if she hasn’t laid them yet and she said if they’re still there in maybe 30 days to look into an exotic vet. She was a local vet that just did general care for turtles.
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:21 pm   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

If she's still carrying, she'll likely expel them into the water as the period of her wanting to nest is probably over.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:32 pm   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

So do you think it’s a waste of time/effort to take her out to attempt to nest? (Which I’m sure is probably just stressing her out) And also, do you think I should still seek out an exotic vet if I can still tell they are there in 30 days?
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:43 pm   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

Only 2 ways for them to nest... when nature tells them or a shot of oxytocin. When they want to nest, she will want to aggressively come out of the tank. Only during this time (weather conditions likely play a role) will she nest. I've seen this activity last a week or two (my experience only) and I consider that a prime window. After that, she will likely expel them into the water. Putting in her a nesting box will just stress her out, I don't think there is a way to encourage her if she doesn't want to.

Did the vet accurately check for eggs?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:48 pm   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

Yes the vet said what I was feeling was definitely eggs and that they seem to be formed well. You can see them bulging on either side of her tail when she has her legs tucked in.
Attachments
B71F168A-B693-4362-9E34-0A8AB84F7DBC.jpeg
B71F168A-B693-4362-9E34-0A8AB84F7DBC.jpeg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 7740 times
Manx~Coheed
Yorkie~Cambria
Turtle~Donatello
AndreaF590

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:23 am   Re: Donatella’s first vet visit and questionabout nesting

You wouldn't feel eggs between the tail and leg, but rather the gap in front of the leg and shell (sort of where you can say she has her knee tucked in from the photo).
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion