Urgent Care :: Help!! Is my adopted baby sick?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:22 am   Help!! Is my adopted baby sick?

So 1 week ago we adopted a RES. I'm used to having baby turtles and raising them myself, which I would prefer to do so that I'm not in this position. The turtle came from bf's ex wife's parents who had the turtle for the kids. The didn't want it so of course I didn't pass the offer up. Well I think he could be sick. I don't know how they took care of him so I don't know what could be wrong. When he came to me all that came was a 45gal tank a fish filter a broken basking floatie and the turtle. I've been scrambling to get whats needed. Got a canister filter, uvb and heat light, bigger basking floatie, and crickets, and shrimp to get him used to eating something other than pellets. Going to get him some ghost shrimp tomorrow and feeder fish.
So anyways this is why I think he might be sick... 1. I think its a type of skin fungus because it's like thin layers of his skin peeling off and floating around in the water. 2. When he swims his back right leg seems to want to float. 3. When I put up the heat and bub lights he mostly stays under them all day until I get home then he wants to eat crickets and dried shrimp from my hand as he swims. 4. The water will not clear up even with my canister filter. It looks cloudy but kinda bluish. So I really don't know. I'm going to do a 50% water change tomorrow oh and 5. He eats the basking floatie. Like he really shows down on that thing. Any suggestions I appreciate just please keep in mind I don't have much money, so please suggest anything that isn't too costly. Thank you for reading
Angel1904

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:56 am   Re: Help!! Is my adopted baby sick?

Just to be clear , the photo of the "four" in other post are no longer with you and this one is in the 45 gallon alone ?

What size is this one , any photos?

1) Could be skin shedding , does it show up better when in water or land? A picture when in water will help if skin is shedding . But also need a picture of it total dry if it's fungus.

2) Could be an old injury on leg from improper tank setup ? Picture of leg would help.

3) If turtle is over 4" way to much protein with crickets , shrimp , and feeder fish that size is not a baby anymore and needs veggies. Should be on 50-70% veggies as an juvenile or adult ! Read here : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

4) How much water in tank , filter may be under rated for this turtle. If so more frequent water changes and filter cleaning may help it clear up . But you can get at a point with to many and be getting algae blooms in water being cloudy. Maybe change up your filter media more for a turtle would help. What type and size filter you have now ?

5) Some turtle do eat basking area . A cheap one you can "DIY" is an egg crate type using a light fixture material from a big box store. Just google egg crate basking click on images to see. Sometime one can find at a dollar store a plastic basket turned side ways hanging in tank or on top , just make a ramp to get on easy.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:08 am   Re: Help!! Is my adopted baby sick?

I've tried to post some pictures of him on this post but it says my file is too large. And he is in the tank alone. I don't see any physical injuries be that doesnt mean there isn't anything internal. He moves fine besides the slight float. Now he wasn't getting anything besides the pellets as a juvenile so I want him to have a more rounded meal. But I'll give him more veggies to keep him going.
The water seems to be clearing up, We just have to keep skimming the water for leftover pieces of food and skin floating around. I'm going to work on getting some plants to put in the tank. And since I've started with the crickets he hasn't been eating the floatie that I've seen. I'm going to change the settings on my camera to try to post some pictures.
Thank you for responding
Angel1904

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm   Re: Help!! Is my adopted baby sick?

You can email the pictures to me or use imgur.com to host them. If this skin shedding is thin, wispy, and translucent, it's normal. Is he otherwise floating normally (level and straight)?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care