General Care Discussion :: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm   Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

So, i found some white/yellowish marks on my Hatchling red eared slider, and its concerning me, because im not sure what it is, and its not Squishy, or Sticky, its just like apart of his shell, help! I also have pics i can email or Kik them! :mrgreen: My Kik Is I_Rove_Sour_Candy
Last edited by Hatchling_Bob on Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Hello and welcome,

Make sure that you post photo of a dry shell so we can see better.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:09 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Its not letting me upload a pic, it says its too big :/ how can i make the pic smaller then?!?! I tried cropping it and saving the pic another way and nothing! If you have Kik Messenger i can send you pics of my turtle
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:16 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:Hello and welcome,

Make sure that you post photo of a dry shell so we can see better.
it doesnt let me uploar the picture its too big apparently do yiu have Kik?
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:01 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Find photo you want then "right" click on it , box opens then left click on edit. New window opens then click on resize. For this forum 816x612 works great also works well for any email service.

This way no third party service is needed , which in 2017 most that third party host cost money. Do it yourself on your computer and you have full control.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:06 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:Find photo you want then "right" click on it , box opens then left click on edit. New window opens then click on resize. For this forum 816x612 works great also works well for any email service. I...

This way no third party service is needed , which in 2017 most that third party host cost money. Do it yourself on your computer and you have full control.

I only have a Smartphone.. no computer im sorry..
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:28 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Depending on operating system on phone go to setting's and see what control you have to set size on photos.
If none there are several "free" editors for smartphones you could use.
Sorry I do not use Kik , personally don't like there platform.
Maybe Imgur will work on system.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:55 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:Depending on operating system on phone go to setting's and see what control you have to set size on photos.
If none there are several "free" editors for smartphones you could use.
Sorry I do not use Kik , personally don't like there platform.
Maybe Imgur will work on system.

https://imgur.com/xcn5rLl heres a like to one of the pics if that doesnt work i dont know how else to show you a Pic unless if you have a email.. PLEASE HELP! https://i.imgur.com/Jd2sr0H.png
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:20 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Baby turtles grow fast and shed a lot. Being that he's wet , well a totally dry picture tells more for this ! He is shedding which is normal but having a little trouble on this shed. Can see a few scutes lifting up good but some early fungus is getting around the keratin layer. Your conditions may be off on the tank especially basking area . This is not a true method for fungus treatment but being very early I would do this.
A child's soft tooth brush gently scrub the shell with a diluted solution of "povidone-iodine" and water , it's sold OTC as a surgical scrub. This is to keep it as clean as possible. Make just a little mixture of both say an ounce and dip the "brush" not the turtle in it and use to "gently" clean the turtle shell. Keep him out the water for an hour so to dry completely then rinse him off "clean water" and back in tank. Once or twice a day for a few days and observe.
Now the tank // the water needs to be 80* for a baby. The basking area needs a heat bulb and also a UVB bulb , both over basking area ! Basking area temp should be 90-92* ! Observe well to see if any shedding scutes are coming off BUT do Not pull any off to help. That will do damage and hurt the turtle !!! The fungus hopefully is on top of old scutes and when shed should be clearish to maybe a little tint to the keratin layer. Keeping it clean and adjusting tank conditions should help correct this on his own . If whitish area gets worst then we can do a full fungus treatment or see a Vet for treatment.
Really need a totally dry photo of the shell.

Can you answer these question in some detail will only help:

How big is your turtle?
How long have you had it?

What is the water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer?
Are you using a water heater?
How much water is in there?
Are you using a water conditioner?
Are you using any filtration?

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light?

What have you been trying to feed it?
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window?
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:52 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:Baby turtles grow fast and shed a lot. Being that he's wet , well a totally dry picture tells more for this ! He is shedding which is normal but having a little trouble on this shed. Can see a few scutes lifting up good but some early fungus is getting around the keratin layer. Your conditions may be off on the tank especially basking area . This is not a true method for fungus treatment but being very early I would do this.
A child's soft tooth brush gently scrub the shell with a diluted solution of "povidone-iodine" and water , it's sold OTC as a surgical scrub. This is to keep it as clean as possible. Make just a little mixture of both say an ounce and dip the "brush" not the turtle in it and use to "gently" clean the turtle shell. Keep him out the water for an hour so to dry completely then rinse him off "clean water" and back in tank. Once or twice a day for a few days and observe.
Now the tank // the water needs to be 80* for a baby. The basking area needs a heat bulb and also a UVB bulb , both over basking area ! Basking area temp should be 90-92* ! Observe well to see if any shedding scutes are coming off BUT do Not pull any off to help. That will do damage and hurt the turtle !!! The fungus hopefully is on top of old scutes and when shed should be clearish to maybe a little tint to the keratin layer. Keeping it clean and adjusting tank conditions should help correct this on his own . If whitish area gets worst then we can do a full fungus treatment or see a Vet for treatment.
Really need a totally dry photo of the shell.

Can you answer these question in some detail will only help:

How big is your turtle?
How long have you had it?

What is the water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer?
Are you using a water heater?
How much water is in there?
Are you using a water conditioner?
Are you using any filtration?

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light?

What have you been trying to feed it?
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window?
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?

https://i.imgur.com/TJsQ7N8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/P6dS9PF.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/4wTCF0K.jpg
Theres the dry pics of Bob, 3.
There he is fully dry, and last time he ate was like 15 Minutes ago, i feed him Crickets, and pellots, Turtle food, i try to feed him Romaine lettuce but he doesnt like it at all, The tank he has Is a Plastic 9Gallon container, And i have a Heater, and a Heat lamp with UVa Bulb and his tank is in a corner of My room no window And not much activity. And his basking area is river rocks he likes climbing and staying on too of the rocks infront of the Lamp his water stays at 75-79 and the Basking area is at about 80-90 And i am waiting on his Water filter also, if he doed have fungal is there another cheaper remedy? I dont have much money, And i want to take care of Bob i love my baby bob so much.. i was thinking of Rubbing his shell With Coconut oil, since it has so many vitamins its virgin coconut oil.. :mrgreen: :( Any Advise i will appreciate it very much. Thank you so much!
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:30 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Thank you for the dry photos tells me so much more !!! You should be good , I can see the keratin layer much better , it's just shedding. The appearance on the wet photos made it look like starting of fungus around the scutes. When water gets under the scute it throws off a coloration that's hard to tell.
Turtle's live 40-50 years in captivity when offered a good home. There's a lot of homework to do to get him there. Like what to look for when wet and or dry. Babies like more protein now that they are growing very fast . But I would still offer veggies. By the time he's 3" will like his veggies more ! At that time it will be 70-80% of his diet with protein every other day.

That povidone-iodine / betadine is good to have ready when needed and it's very cheap! Smallest size you can find goes a long way. That's why I suggested to start there before we get into an expensive fungus treatment , I'm old school , being that I'm old.

Yes a water filter is a big must! Filters are sold by fish gallons and a baby turtle will need double that of fish do to how messy they are to be happy and healthy. By the time he's an adult a filter rated 4-5x's the flow of fish will be needed per gallon.

Bob is good just shedding , keep observing you will make a good parent ! Never hesitate on any questions we are here for the turtle / Bob and you !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:46 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:Thank you for the dry photos tells me so much more !!! You should be good , I can see the keratin layer much better , it's just shedding. The appearance on the wet photos made it look like starting of fungus around the scutes. When water gets under the scute it throws off a coloration that's hard to tell.
Turtle's live 40-50 years in captivity when offered a good home. There's a lot of homework to do to get him there. Like what to look for when wet and or dry. Babies like more protein now that they are growing very fast . But I would still offer veggies. By the time he's 3" will like his veggies more ! At that time it will be 70-80% of his diet with protein every other day.

That povidone-iodine / betadine is good to have ready when needed and it's very cheap! Smallest size you can find goes a long way. That's why I suggested to start there before we get into an expensive fungus treatment , I'm old school , being that I'm old.

Yes a water filter is a big must! Filters are sold by fish gallons and a baby turtle will need double that of fish do to how messy they are to be happy and healthy. By the time he's an adult a filter rated 4-5x's the flow of fish will be needed per gallon.

Bob is good just shedding , keep observing you will make a good parent ! Never hesitate on any questions we are here for the turtle / Bob and you !

Thank you so much! I was so worried, because it looked like Shell rot/Fungal and i was so worried because i wasnt sure, now im waiting on His filter to arrive :/ hopefully soon! Cause his tank does get very messy i usually clean it 2-3 days after water change.. and its very hard for me, and i bought him a 20 Gallon Whisper In-Tank Filter with BioScrubber for aquariums.. so yeah, thank yoy again! And a question, Is crickets and pellots good enough food for him? Or should i incorporate someother food? Im trying to feed him romaine lettuce.. but hes not liking it... :cry:
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:56 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

The crickets are not that nutritious more like candy to a turtle and should be offered as a treat only. A well balance and varied diet is better. There are some good baby pellets out there that are nutritious. Look on this forum main page for recommendations on feeding , also have links at the very top of this page.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:23 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

You can rub some dried shrimp or canned tuna (in brine only) on the lettuce. But don't be too worried if he refuses it as hatchlings/babies are more carnivorous. Keep offering veggies from time to time so he gets used to it. When he will be older you can try the tough method if he is still stubborn lol
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:35 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

PokePony wrote:You can rub some dried shrimp or canned tuna (in brine only) on the lettuce. But don't be too worried if he refuses it as hatchlings/babies are more carnivorous. Keep offering veggies from time to time so he gets used to it. When he will be older you can try the tough method if he is still stubborn lol

Thank you! Very helpful! I appreciate it n_n/ :D :mrgreen:
Hatchling_Bob

Next

Return to General Care Discussion