Urgent Care :: eye injury

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:54 pm   eye injury

1022171257a-1.jpg
I caught my bfs turtle biting at the other turtles face. Her eye is injured...we got terramycin ointment to put on it twice a day. I don't really know anything about turtles. Is this common? Will it heal ok?
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:08 pm   Re: eye injury

Not sure how well it would heal, it's possible. First they need permanent separation. Even on land, you will want to keep them apart. terramycin might help but this isn't really an infection. I would also see if some dry docking will help with healing, and you should also consider visiting a vet given the severity.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:16 pm   Re: eye injury

I did remove the other turtle immediately. I got the terramycin to make sure it doesn't get infected. What is dry docking? Would keeping her warm help? She's in hibernation mode right now
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:39 am   Re: eye injury

Ouch... that looks really bad... Poor girl. :s

I wouldn't let her brumate in that state. Dry docking means keeping your turtle outside of the water until it completely dries off. It helps fight numerous infections. The amount of hours per day you need to dry dock your turtle depends on the situation. You should provide her with a basking light during this process. Are you going to see a vet soon ?
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm   Re: eye injury

You can look into a triple antibiotic to help keeping infection away or something like Neosporin. What do you mean by hibernation mode?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:59 pm   Re: eye injury

Ah ok. She does dry dock herself for multiple hours in the day so I think we're ok there.

But she is in semi-dormancy for the winter, my bf said she won't eat til spring. I didn't suggest to him a vet. It doesn't look infected and she seems to be acting normally for the most part. Maybe hiding her head a little more than usual, which is understandable.

Her eye appears to be healing already. I will take more pictures when I get home.

Do I need to bring her out of her dormant state? If so, how? I believe both turtles were wild caughr so idk how to accomplish such a thing. Since I'm not sure what triggers it
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:29 pm   Re: eye injury

It's not really hibernation (reptiles technically brumate), so I'd be very careful about her dormant state. How long have you had her?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:11 am   Re: eye injury

She's not my turtle. I think my bf said he has had her about five years.

No pics yesterday...when I got home it was late and she was already tucked in for bed and sleeping

I think she must have an internal clock that she goes by for 'brumating' because being indoors affects day length and tperature, so it can't be either of those.
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:22 pm   Re: eye injury

It varies, but I know a lot of people who do it this way without issue, but its still not recommended.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:01 pm   Re: eye injury

Steve, which way do you mean?

Here is a picture from the other day. I don't think there's an eye in there, poor girl. The bf has been putting ointment on her every day but it looks like she'll have to be happy with just the one eye. :-/
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:06 pm   Re: eye injury

1026171342a-1.jpg
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:49 am   Re: eye injury

Some people just leave their turtle in a dry tank or with little water, no heating, filtration, lighting, etc. during winters. That's not hibernation or brumation... just a period of inactivity and I wouldn't recommend it. As for the eye, its probably still there as the eyelids are very sensitive, but not having her seen by a vet will not help. Maybe look for a rehabber or rescue if funds are an issue.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 pm   Re: eye injury

She is still in her regular tank and we turn the light on for her everyday. She just doesn't have an appetite and will ignore food. They do that every winter.

As far as her eye goes, it has healed nicely and she is feeling much better. She doesn't hide her head all day or sit on the bottom of the tank a lot like she was before. I really don't think there is an eye there as wheb you look at the profile of her head from above, there is a bit of an indent compared to the other eye. In any case, it healed closed. No functioning eyelids. She should be fine now, aside from having only one good eye.
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:59 pm   Re: eye injury

I don't think the eye is missing entirely but it was almost certainly damaged by the other turtle. So I guess I meant to say I don't think there is a whole, functioning eye there.
Lauraeli

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:25 am   Re: eye injury

The important thing is that it healed and wasn't infected. Very happy to hear she is doing better now !
PokePony

Next

Return to Urgent Care