Urgent Care :: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am   Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

How big is your turtle? - 11 inches
How long have you had it? - 17 years

What is the water temperature? 76-80
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? 65 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? 90
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? slate
Is there a UVB light? yes

What have you been trying to feed it? minnows, food pellets, cucumbers
When was the last time your turtle ate? yesterday

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 80 gallons
Is the tank near a window? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Have you read the Basic Care section? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Stopped eating again and is acting gravid.

My turtle was not taking to laying eggs in a set habitat that I created, so I decided to take her to the vet. They induced her egg laying which made all of the (11) eggs come out. She has been doing well since, I have been giving her calcium orally and an injection of ceftazidime every 3 days. Yesterday and so far today she has stopped eating, she is not basking and she is just going crazy in her tank again. Splashing, trying to escape, swimming sideways.. Just curious if anyone knows what is causing this? Her follow up appointment is Friday but I am a little worried! Let me know if anyone has dealt with this before. Thank you.
tbuddah

Post Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:45 am   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

I am not a Vet , all I can go by is my 50 plus years in hobby. Eighteen of them as a volunteer with a renowned doctor in Herpetology at a reptile center.

My experience is that no matter how elaborate I made a nesting area Minnie always used the garden.

Myself , heard of Fortaz ( ceftazidime) used at the center for RI infections. Sure there are other use's.
Being subcutaneous it should be given on an angle between the skin and muscle ( bevel / open side up ) not into the muscle.
Check with you Vet for "his" details !!!

One of the side affects of ceftazidime is unusual movement of the muscles which may be causing the swimming problem . Talk to your vet the dosage may have to be adjusted ! Being worried you may not want to wait till Friday.

(11) eggs she could still have more , some could have up to 20 eggs at a time? Was an x-ray done , 11 for sure ?

Hopefully Steve chimes in today he's very good on this.

P.S. added 10/11
You could try and let her in your yard/garden , see if she goes to digging , may be holding some more eggs ?
Just looked at my note's , ceftazidime may inhibit appetite.
Also a good read : http://www.anapsid.org/resources/rxdose.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:35 am   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

I have limited experience as well, but would like to know why you'r using ceftazidime? That could be causing the lack of appetite. I also agree with litefoot here, she could be carrying more eggs.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

Red Flag went up with me also. "WHY" , some people are so touchy when asked a question , so I didn't. That info is needed to give the best advice ! Thanks' (S) for just asking it ! Myself next time will just ask ! It's all about the Turtle to me !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:58 am   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

Thank you both for responding. We went back to our vet on Friday and did another X-Ray. She had 4 more eggs inside of her that were not present after she laid her initial 11 eggs. They re-prescribed Ceftazidime said to prevent an internal infection that could be caused by fragile eggs breaking. Once a day, Calcium Glubionate to be given orally. They suggested that I get a spay done if this continues to happen. They quoted me about 615.00 for the operation and as I do not mind doing it if it will help her, if it is unecessary I do not mind dealing with this every time she is feeling this way.

Again, thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it.
tbuddah

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:43 am   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

This is a serious operation for a reptile ! Lots more follow up than with a cat or dog. If this is a regular vet you may want a second opinion with a Herp Vet. I would if and only if it was life threating to her. This is a time for lots of homework.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:51 pm   Re: Female was gravid. Induced egg laying is gravid again

Yes, very serious especially when anesthesia is involved.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care