Urgent Care :: White shell. What should I do?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:59 pm   White shell. What should I do?

Hello

I've adopted a turtle with nearly a month old, back in December. As this is a troostii, I've used the same setup I used for my, now deceased, red-eared slider. According to the vet that I used to go, the setup is properly built.
He has been growing strong, and he is very active, however, since January/February I've noticed his shell going into a white'ish colour. It is easily noticed when he is on the basking spot, with his shell completely dried. I've started to scrub his shell with a toothbrush a week ago, and see what might happen (He hates it, and just want to bite me).

Another strange thing that happened now, that haven't happened with my "old" turtle's setup is the fact that now, the rocks that have direct light tend to go darker on the light'ed side. The rocks that are kept in the shade, don't go black.

I suspect that this is most probably a fungus. If that is the case, should I try any anti-fungus? Is there any procedure? (I'm in a delicate $ situation, as for taking him to the vet is not so easy for me right now.)

:arrow: Setup
size 50x85cm
UVB light 5.0
400Lt/hour Filter
24-26º - water
25º-29º - outside
calcium supplements always present
Feed him once a day
change water and clean all setup in 3 weeks
Around 2 Lts of daily change water
clean all elements once a week (basking sport, rocks, filter, thermostat)

GDBK0pa[1].jpg
My turtle (Pitcure taken 4 months ago)

pedras10[1].jpg
The rocks

Thank you for taking some time to read (and answer)
My warmest regards,
Telmo
T3lmurcio

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 am   Re: White shell. What should I do?

Looks like fungus here. The best anti-fungus cream usually requires a prescription but is safer and works better than most. I'd try to find some if you can -- silver sulfadiazine cream. Search my post history for the procedure... I haven't changed my treatment suggestion. I'm not sure what's with the rocks, probably some algae. You can probably scrub that off.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:30 am   Re: White shell. What should I do?

steve wrote:Looks like fungus here. The best anti-fungus cream usually requires a prescription but is safer and works better than most. I'd try to find some if you can -- silver sulfadiazine cream. Search my post history for the procedure... I haven't changed my treatment suggestion. I'm not sure what's with the rocks, probably some algae. You can probably scrub that off.

I've read your post:
"There are a few ways to do it but first make sure your tank/filtration/lighting/water quality/basking stuff is 100% ready because you don't want a reoccurrence. As for applying the cream, during the evening I would let the turtle go into a dry enclosure (could be a large box, sectioned off room, etc) for about 30-60 minutes. The turtle won't like it but you want the shell to be dry. Apply a very small, thin layer of the cream. It's greasy, so spread it around. Turn off the lights and let the turtle sleep overnight with the cream on. In the morning, there will be some residue, so you will have to wipe the shell and possibly scrub it (with a new, clean toothbrush) under some water. Wipe again and return the turtle into the main tank."

Is it ok if I let him dry in the morning for one hour, and at the evening again 1 hour?
Thank you Steve!
My best regards,
Telmo
T3lmurcio

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:16 am   Re: White shell. What should I do?

You can, but unless there is a place to hide, your turtle might be a little restless and constantly try to get out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:59 pm   Re: White shell. What should I do?

thank you steve :)
T3lmurcio

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 am   Re: White shell. What should I do?

You're welcome! Good luck with the treatment and keep us updated!
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care