Urgent Care :: Pink mark on RES neck!?!?!!??

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:09 am   Pink mark on RES neck!?!?!!??

Hello, I have a red ear slider and she's about 11years old. Today when I was changing her water I noticed a pink mark on the side of her neck. Does anyone know what this is? :(

IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG (34.39 KiB) Viewed 3179 times

IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG (34.39 KiB) Viewed 3179 times

:msgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG (67.83 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Ashsturtle

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 am   Re: Pink mark on RES neck!?!?!!??

Maybe she hurt herself somewhere ? I've used Betadine on Shelldon before when he got hurt, it works wonders. If you don't think it's that maybe you could ask your vet about it ? I've done a quick search and usually when it's a bigger problem, there's several spot like this, not just a single one. Maybe someone else have more experience with skin condition.
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:24 am   Re: Pink mark on RES neck!?!?!!??

Betadine is good to prevent any infection and will be good to use. If your store does not have it look for a surgical scrub. Both are a topical solution's that have povidone - iodine in them and sold OTC. Observe well for any infection setting in. Would not hurt when applying solution to dry dock her for a few hours once or twice a day if possible .

The way turtules dash into the water if startled and banging themselves around may be what happened ? Check all decorations , rocks ... look for anything that may have a sharp edge or rough spots on them. May sure your girl has a clear path all the way underwater.

Can not tell from pictures out the water but has she been doing any skin shedding ? Could see that best when in water. If so she may have rubbed an extra itchy spot to much ? I have seen this in my turtles over the years which create a bruise like area.

When expanding your photos looks minor and to me does not look cut into the skin more bruise like to the soft tissue. Still treat for prevention.

During this take extra care with her maintenance so the water stays extra clean , helps prevent infection too. Some old time turtle keepers also raise water temp up a little which seems to help control some microorganism's from setting up any infections. ( to 80*) Observe well and treat as a precaution , keep us posted. RES's are very hardy ! It's always good to have a Herp Vets number around if you feel the need !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:14 am   Re: Pink mark on RES neck!?!?!!??

It might harden to become a callus and fall off.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care