Habitat - Indoor :: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:29 am   Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

So I'm starting to transform a large plastic bin into a temporary tank, and I was wondering what would be the safest heater for a baby snapper, I've read about cases where the heater breaks and electrifies the water, and that brought up concern , any tips would be helpful!
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:40 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

Eheim Jager and Aqueon Pro are real good. If you think your turtle will be very destructive, I'd look into a titanium heater... I think Tronic made them, and from there you get into some specialized (expensive) equipment.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:15 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

Today I bought a Tetrafauna heater, it's green and sticks to the bottom, is this a good choice? I also had a TopFin filter but I'm going to be returning it as it would not pump water.
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

Most Tetrafauna stuff is low quality. I don't have anything from TopFin, I think most of their stuff is for beginner fish keepers.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:39 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

This is my current setup, next on my list is a heating lamp. As much as the baby likes sitting in the light of this reading lamp, I don't think it'll cut it. He really likes his plastic cup, which he goes to take naps in. So far the heater seems to be doing its job as far as I can see, though the baby does like sitting on it, I notice he goes to use the wire to turn. He has also learned how to swim backwards, is this normal for a turtle?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:11 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

My RES can swim backwards when pulling back in short spurt. If you're intent on raising turtles, you're going to have to start at looking to do some major upgrades on how they're kept.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:34 pm   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

Thank you for the advice. I've been looking for a basking /heating lamp that can be clipped onto the side of the bin, similar to the light seen in the picture, and on another note, what filter do you think would fit the size of the bin?
ScorchedDragon

Post Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 am   Re: Baby Snapping Turtle: Safe Submersible heaters?

most clamp lamps work, just need to make sure they can hold the weight and support the wattage. as for the filter, not sure I have any suggestions that small. anything you get will shortly need upgrading.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor