Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: to adopt or not to adopt?

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:10 pm   to adopt or not to adopt?

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum (thank god!) when doing research prompted by a sign on a bboard in my building at work, free res turtle to good home, including supplies and book... Turns out the owners are moving across the country and don't want to subject the little one to the trip. They got it (gender and age unknown, 5-6" diameter) from another person who made the same move in December (at the time they thought they were here for good).

In any case, I've always been drawn to turtles, but never owned one before. I have fish, and used to have cats, dog, and a monkey (in Africa, not as cruel as it sounds, she was a rescue) so I'm not new to pets, even 'exotic' ones. I just want to weigh all the pros and cons, and ask for advice. The thought of looking after something for the next 30 years is a bit scary, and I currently rent an apartment and will undoubtedly be moving in the next two years, potentially across distances (I'm still one of those 'unsettled' people without spouse or offspring, but a nice career developing in engineering, so stable at least)...

I bow to the advice of experienced turtle owners, what do you guys think?

thanks for the advice, and sorry for the lengthy post.
elle
somethingwitty

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:17 pm   

I think if it's something you really want then go for it! If you have the time and money needed then why not? Even for long distance moves there are ways to travel with or ship your turt...

Good luck with whatever you decide :)
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:37 pm   

...and just remember that they might not have the appropriate supplies and you'll have to buy the right ones. good luck and let us know what happens.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.