Urgent Care :: Res RI not doing well

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 pm   Res RI not doing well

How big is your turtle? 5 inches
How long have you had it? 4 months

What is the water temperature? 82
Did you use a thermometer? Yes
Are you using a water heater? Yes
How much water is in there? 40 gal
Are you using a water conditioner? Yes
Are you using any filtration? Yes

What is the basking temperature? Unsure. Approx 76 to 78
Is there a basking light? Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? Yez
What kind is it or what is it made out of? Tile and PVC
Is there a UVB light? Yes

What have you been trying to feed it? ANYTHING
When was the last time your turtle ate? Willingly, several weeks

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 40 gal breeder
Is the tank near a window? No
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? Moderate

Have you read the Basic Care section? Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? Currently being treates for RI. Not seeming to feel much better at all and this is day 6. What can I do? :'( Should she be dry docked or in the tank? I am so lost and so sad
HerpDerp

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:26 am   Re: Res RI not doing well

Can someone help? I'm looking for any ideas that anyone has used to help their RES through RI? Please???
HerpDerp

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:44 pm   Re: Res RI not doing well

Is she on antibiotics? Many of them can suppress appetite. Does she have a vet? Any discussion about force feeding? Unless instructed, I don't think she should be dry docked. I would also try an electrolyte soak - plain Pedialyte mixed with warm water and some crumbled up pellets (in hopes she drinks some in).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:32 pm   Re: Res RI not doing well

She died this morning. :'(

When I left for work she was okay... my husband messaged me about 4 hours later and she's gone. I'm heartbroken.

She was on Fortaz every 3rd day, started 1 week ago so gave her her 3rd injection yesterday... force fed her a little bit because I didn't want her to just wither up and die which she did anyway. :'(

I didn't have her dry docked. The vet had her dry docked and she looked worse than when I took her to him, so I tried her back in her quarantine tank and she perked right up. I did electrolyte soaks as well as Polyvisol soaks... what I force fed was tuna juice and not much. Just SOMETHING in her tummy. She did great for about 2 days after her first shot at the vet and then has been going down, down, down since.

Now she's gone.
HerpDerp

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:35 pm   Re: Res RI not doing well

OH and yes sorry, she had a vet who is experienced with amphibians/reptiles/terrapins

Just wasn't enough. :( I feel like I failed her in a huge way. The vet tech had instructed me to inject her close to her tail... but I had always been instructed in the past to inject IM on the front half of the body, so that's what I did. Last night I put the tank heater from main tank into the quarantine tank to make it even warmer than it was. Had it set for about 82. So I don't think she got too hot? I don't know. My husband found her floating in the water today, but when I left she was up on her rock like every other day for the last few weeks.

Ugh I feel so, so bad.
HerpDerp

Post Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 pm   Re: Res RI not doing well

I'm sorry to hear it. I don't think it was your fault, her situation was pretty serious. I've only heard of the injections in the front too, alternating the limbs. Sorry you lost her :(
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care