Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: new to the turtle game

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:48 pm   new to the turtle game

ok so here we go.
Like any family we went to a flea market and bought a turtle. Two weeks later it died, I think the turtle was already a sick turtle when we bought it but who really knows.
My 8 year old daughter was heartbroken so I called around and was able to find a local pet store that had healthy looking turtles. I did have an impulsive buy and bought a red ear slider and a western painted turtle. both babies. We have had them for a week and it seems like they have actually grown on me and I have grown attached to them.
This time around I did do some research. My husband bought a 10 gallon started kit I'm hoping that in a couple months once they start to grow we will buy a bigger tank.
I have read that the pebbles I bought are actually bad for my turtles so I will be replacing them with bigger pebbles. I'm open to any advise and criticism .

I want to buy the calcium tablets but I'm scared since I only have a 10 gallon tank that it would be too much for them and actually make them sick.
also I do only have a heating lamp so I tend to take them outside so they can catch some rays.
I'm a bit worried that Khaleesi (red ear slider) might not be doing well since she tends to "nest" under the filter and I hardly ever see her basking under the heat lamp. I have attached some pictures so yall would have more of an idea of how I have things set up.
like I said any advice is good!
wait one more thing I have read that having the heat lamp on at night throws off their sleeping patterns is this correct?
Attachments
mikey basking.jpg
Mikey basking
khaleesi 1.jpg
Khaleesi Hiding
size.jpg
Size
set up.jpg
Small Set up
tank 1.jpg
Whole tank
vanessa556

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:45 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

Welcome to the forum! You can have a bare bottom tank, it would be fine and easier to clean. Depending on the room temperature, you might need a submersible water heater but leave the lights off at night. I would also skip the calcium block, especially if you are using a reputable pellet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

Forgot to mention, but hatchlings are mostly illegal to purchase in the US. Your turtles, like us are diurnal -- sleep at night and active during the day. Most of us put our lights on timers to make it a bit easier for ourselves. If its early and peaceful, your turtles might sneak in a few basking sessions.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

Oh no! Did I do something wrong by buying them?! I had no idea! Thank you Steve! I do have a submersible heater the tetra heater for up to 30 gallons. I keep checking to make sure the temp is at 78 degrees. I usually wake up at 5:30 am and turn on the heat lamp. I am currently using the baby repot floating sticks. I bought some dried up shrimp when we first bought the first turtle. ( I thought maybe it didn't like the food that was given to me at the flea market) should I wait to give it to them? And one more thing is there an easier way to clean the tank? I used a mild soap with water for the first time until the water came out clear. But it was so hard to keep rising the pebbles and re-washing the glass.... there are many products for the glass and the vacuum for the water. But would you recommend anything?
vanessa556

Post Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:56 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

More like the seller did something wrong. Either way, you have them now :) Are both eating? Reptomin is ok. Keep the shrimp as a rare treat. You usually just need to wipe the tank down, no soap. Sometimes I'll use vinegar or rubbing alcohol. For draining the water, you can get a siphon system I just use clear tubing from a hardware store and a small aquarium pump.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:47 am   Re: new to the turtle game

Again thank you Steve! so much information! yea both turtles are eating I give them 2 pellets each. I started to look into siphon system for tanks. looks fairly easy! I'll take out more pebbles next time I clean out the thank, but like I said Khaleesi likes to nest she digs herself into a little nest under the filter and that's where she hangs out. Mikey on the other hand likes to move around he is very active and I guess after he is tired he bask on the rock for a while. I did read your post on healthy snacks to give them such a veggies. I think I will start that too.
vanessa556

Post Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:36 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

The more popular siphon is from Python. Turtles do like to squeeze into tight places, be careful that the filter or basking area do not pose threats.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:33 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

So I got a new tank! Got a 30 gallon tank! Same kinda layout but the turtle can swim more and have more room! Super happy I will post more pic in a sec
vanessa556

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:45 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

:mrgreen: :msgreen: hope my turtles like it1 its only day one with the new setup/tank
Attachments
Untitled.gif
vanessa556

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:46 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

also mikey is on the basking rock and khaleesi is on the other rock in front of the filter! ha ha she loves hanging out around the filter
vanessa556

Post Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:14 am   Re: new to the turtle game

So tiny and soon they'll be huge! :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm   Re: new to the turtle game

I love your 30 gallon tank. I just recently purchased a 50 or 55 gallon. I took all of the rocks today as I recently found they could be a choking hazard. She also has a basking dock. She loves the rocks gone. We got her back in March and her shell has grown about 2 inches since we got her. Where did you get your basking rock? I like it. My basking dock is stuck on the glass with the little plastic plungie things that I cannot think of the name right now.
Melita

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:30 am   Re: new to the turtle game

I have had 2 RES for over a year now with those floating docks under theyre basking area. I just built a new basking area out of egg crate and it is very different from just a dock. they dont seem to be interested. I can tell that they are getting tired from swimming around. And theyre shells are getting slimey from not basking, which they dearly enjoy (on the cheap floating dock which they do not fit on anymore). The turtles are able to climb the small incline on the ramp but just seem to float in the water there. I put some treats on the flat part under the basking light and uvb bulbs but she just grabs the treat and goes back into the water. I have taken out their floating dock to try to get them to go explore the new terrain. How do i get the other one to climb it? And how do i get both to bask like they used to? This is a much better setup now and they do not seem to understand it. Will it take time? Or should i adapt the grate more? Im worried that they will get sick
Maysian

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 am   Re: new to the turtle game

Hello and welcome,

Maysian you can use the new topic button to have your own post. This is to prevent any confusion with the original posters issue. Thanks'

Observe well to see what your turtles are trying to tell you . They know what they want ! Turtles are very smart. That's why the food on dock is taken back into the water , they have no salivary glands needing water to get it down.
When changing to egg crate it does not hold the heat like those floating docks , more dense and absorb heat more. Turtles can be very picky on temps to bask. Check it's temp's they may be a little lower with the change.
You could adjust the ramps but turtles are great climbers. My Piggley even with four easy ramp's available prefers to climb up where he wants. My basking area is 5" high and he can climb up the side with a straight up wall with no problem.
litefoot

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.