Urgent Care :: Heavy skin shedding on RES

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:01 am   Heavy skin shedding on RES

I just adopted a 25 year old RES. He seems to shed alot of skin!
The adoption happened really quick, because we were offered him from a guy who was his owner, but now he lived at his moms. When we knew he was living in a tub in a bathroom, with no social interaction, and a dog constantly barking at him, we had to say yes! We are still working on giving him the proper equipment he needs.
He is terrified of humans, and doesnt seem to get the "glass wall" concept in his tank. He never uses his basking area, and seems like on a constant mission to get trough the glass wall of the tank. We let him dry of on a towel, on the warm bathroom floor once a day, since he seems to not get the basking area concept. I feel really sorry for him. Is the shedding some sign of illness? Or just stress from beeing moved and needs to adjust?
I am prepared to take him to the vet. He seems other than that in quite good shape for his former living conditions. But the heavy skin shedding makes me worried.
English is not my native language, so im sorry for any spelling errors.
Stine

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:42 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

What does the basking area look like? Does he have a basking lamp? Not basking could be contributing to the excessive shedding.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:19 am   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

His basking area was a floating platform that was tilting in to the water. Started to suspect that he wasn't used to that, so yesterday i built a new basking area outside his tank with a ramp going further into the water, and installed his basking lamp and UVB lamp in the roof of that. So i hope that will fix the problem. We have just had him for 3 days now. And want his to be as happy and comfortable as he can be. Also covered the walls on his tank, just in case the "go trough the glass wall" attempts is because he is terrified of humans and can see us. So he can adapt in privacy. Trying to hand feed him an such, but i know i need patience because that wont happen soon i see. Also covered the lower part of the walls on his basking area, just in case he doesn't use it because he is scared.
Stine

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:44 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

How big is his tank? Any pictures of the setup? I think most RES will do the swim against the glass thing regardless if they are used to us or not.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

He is 7 inches long (so not the biggest guy for his age i guess?), His setup provides him 53 gallons pure swimming area, and 1550in² basking area with lots of privacy. No pictures of the setup yet, since tthe room with his tank is a complete mess (stressing to build basking area, moving fish to other aquariums so he can get the biggest one. Etc). Planning on making him something bigger when i get some spare time from masterstudies, draw up a nicer looking setup, getting the right glass to build a new tank etc.
Stine

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:00 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

The 7 inch long is refered to shellsize btw.
Stine

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:10 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

I'd definitely take him to a vet, to get a full checkup, as you can't be sure what kind of diet it had, or any conditions it may have. Sounds like you are doing well in providing it a living area, and sounds like he is in much better hands. I'd read up on all of the useful information on the main site for a better understanding of their needs.

http://www.redearslider.com/index.html

Are you positive he is not basking? I found a useful trick is to place some sort of tasty food on the platform itself, preferably when the lights come on, and leave it there all day. Go back the next day and see if the food is still there. If it is not, then you know he at least climbed up there and grabbed the food. So that means he CAN get onto the platform.

What is your basking area temperature?
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:02 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

7" sounds fine. Have you gone over the basking section? http://www.redearslider.com/basking.html Some RES can be very picky about how it looks (usually the more natural, the better).
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:08 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

Sorry for a late reply. Been going between studies and drawing up the new turtle tank to build next time i get some time off. Haha.
He is now using his new basking area! Its so great! And he uses it alot. He also got toys, and a "turtle tv" (my ipad that i dont use, so it plays videos of sea creatures all day long. Funniest thing he is watching it so curiously.
His shedding has actually become way better. He gets homemade turtle food adapted to his needs. And ive read alot on how to care for him!
His basking area is around 85-90°F. A little higher than his water temp. Trying to spoil him as much as i can. So he also got some "toys" so he can get som extra stimulation and have some fun. :)
His basking section has a driftwood floor, some flat "fake rock" formations, a little pond and walls painted with trees and such. ^^
Stine

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

And to help him trust me on land, as well as in water (now i can actually hand feed him, and play a little with him in the water). Se gets to lay on my lap, while i read the childrens books i need to read for a litterature class out loud with the calmest voice i can make. And he always has the possibility to scoot away when hes had enough, and i know its time to put him back in his tank. Getting there slow and steady.

Stine

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:09 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

Sounds like you are a great parent. He will grow to love and trust you in no time!
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:53 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

Thank you! He seems healthy, but he will eventually get a vet checkup when he has adapted a little more and is not insanely afraid of everyone thats not me. I think he had enough stress in his 25 years already, so he can calm down a bit first. I can't stand when any animal doesn't get the care they should have. I was kinda lucky to already have 8 aquariums up and running because of betta fish breeding, and been working with aquaculture for a few years. So had alot of equipment already. Had a steep learning path. But i think im getting the hang of it now. Will post the sketches of the new setup i want to build for him when im done, and its in a realistic reach for our building skills ^^ :D
Stine

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:21 pm   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

Same, I find it sad that some people don't understand that their pets require a certain level of care. Good that you had experience though - I have found most new RES owners don't have a clue of what they are doing. Often have just a small tank, with very murky water, no filtration (or a small HOB filter) and often heavy pyramiding from overfeeding. I've also found that many of those have stunted or very accelerated growth. No UV supply of any kind, no basking platforms or lights. Very poor living conditions in general.

You breed bettas - that's pretty cool! I always wondered how that went down. Would you be able to explain that process? As I know betta's are aggressive, and wondered how they fared breeding. Also wondering if you know of any tank mates that bettas can have with them. Reason I ask is because I have a small tank with ghost shrimp, a few Harlequin Rasboras and a few Glowlight Tetras. Was looking into adding a betta, but so far it seems not advisable to do so. Hopefully you can shed some light on that.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:23 am   Re: Heavy skin shedding on RES

I can send you a PM with info about your questions when im finished with the schoolwork for the day? Most forums have that possibility, so i guess its like that here to? Because its a buttload of info around your questions. Haha! But i will to that!
Stine

Return to Urgent Care