General Care Discussion :: Moving Shelldon?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:11 am   Moving Shelldon?

Hello All!

Shelldon's move is coming up this October! I looked over the page on this website and talked with vets in preparation.

This is the current plan thus far:

The main thing that the vet talked about was temperature: The car will be temperature controlled to extreme precision and temperature measurements will be taken every 15 min with a digital thermometer (a spare will be bought with just in case)

Shelldon will be moved in a roomy cardboard box, with towels and shredded newspaper as substrate, covered with a towel, but with holes drilled into the box so that air can flow through. I will be sitting next to her, and move the box around as necessary to prevent the vile sunlight from shining on the box. I will stay with her as breaks occur.

I will also have a squirt bottle to keep her hydrated. The vet recommended using it every 3 hours.

Are there any suggestions? I want this move to be as smooth for Shelldon as possible.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:11 am   Re: Moving Shelldon?

How long is the drive and what are the anticipated temperatures?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:53 pm   Re: Moving Shelldon?

The drive will be about 9 hours.

The anticipated temperature... will be about fall October midwest weather, maybe in the 50s?... the temperature INSIDE the car, where Shelldon will be will be very much controlled and in the acceptable range of 70-85 degrees F. The car we will be using has temperature control down to the degree.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:16 pm   Re: Moving Shelldon?

The temps inside the car should be fine. Someone has said that newspaper does not make a good temporary substrate (chemicals in the ink), I prefer towels anyway. I would see if you can fit that cardboard box in a plastic tote, in case any pee gets out of hand and you can use it for a quick soak every few hours. I'm not sure how you would use a the squirt bottle though.

Now, I have an alternate suggestion because my RES can be pretty stubborn. When I dry dock them overnight, they like to be in a dark, tight spot. When I don't have something like that for them, I would enclose them in a blanket or pillowcase and put them someplace dark. They struggle a little bit but will then go to sleep.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:26 am   Re: Moving Shelldon?

Why not get a cheap plastic container? Line the bottom with a towel, then place her and cover her with another towel. Shop towels and such, that's what I did when I had frequent 3-4 hour trips and I had to take them with me. Didn't hydrate them, but made sure the car stayed room temp (mid 70's). A spray bottle would be fine, but be careful not to spray them and then let air hit them, as that'll cool them down.
rambologic

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:23 pm   Re: Moving Shelldon?

I understand. I was thinking of using the squirt bottle while she is in the box, so air wouldn't hit her. Is there a negative possibility to that?

Would you recommend that the towels be dry, slightly wet, or wet? I was thinking dry. (I would remove the towels before spraying Shelldon, then put the towels back, then tuck Shelldon in the towels). I would be getting many spare towels, in case any get too wet.

I will continue looking for possible containers.

Thank you
Gerstein

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:49 pm   Re: Moving Shelldon?

@rambologic - I used to recommend it as well but noticed that some RES will get some minor rub burns while trying to get out. This also created an annoying *thump* ... *thump* ... *thump* noise.

@Gerstein - I kept towels dry.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:06 am   Re: Moving Shelldon?

Interesting. What do you suggest steve? A pillow case?
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:55 pm   Re: Moving Shelldon?

I tied them up in a blanket. A pillow case, even a sock should work. Once their ability to move around is restricted, they should go to sleep. When hatchlings are shipped, they are often packed in a similar way.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:41 am   Re: Moving Shelldon?

Okay, makes sense. Guess you just want to make sure you don't pack them too tight, to avoid suffocating them.
rambologic

Return to General Care Discussion