General Care Discussion :: What's going on with my turtles shell??

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:40 pm   What's going on with my turtles shell??

I got two baby RES about 3 months ago. I say baby because I'm not sure how old they are and they are fairly small. I have a basking area with a heat bulb and uvb bulb. A water heater and a good filtration system. I clean their tank often. Both turtles eat regularly and are very active. They bask and play and swim all the time.. however one of my turtles has something different or "off" about his shell. I am a new turtle owner and have done some research about this but I'm still not sure.. His shell is a lighter color then my other turtle and but it is not soft and doesn't smell either.. I'm very concerned about the little guy and I hope he is just shedding his scutes but I want to be sure and not letting him go unattended if something else is wrong.. here is a picture. Please help
Janessa52

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:18 pm   Re: What's going on with my turtles shell??

I don't see an attachment but most unusual shell conditions like you described are related to fungus.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:48 pm   Re: What's going on with my turtles shell??

Janessa52

Post Posted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:38 pm   Re: What's going on with my turtles shell??

Most of it looks like shedding (don't try to force it off) but I do see a bit of fast growth/retained scutes, so I would reevaluate the diet/frequency and probably cut back.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:21 am   Re: What's going on with my turtles shell??

how often should I be feed them?? Should I be feeding them more vegetables?? And if so which vegetables??
Janessa52

Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:16 pm   Re: What's going on with my turtles shell??

Take a look at this writeup on the main site:

http://www.redearslider.com/index_nutrition.html
rambologic

Return to General Care Discussion