General Care Discussion :: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:43 pm   Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

I'm new here and I've had my red eared slider Richard since 2010. Her tank is extremely hard for me to clean, it's a 55 gallon tall and I was wondering if there were any tips for keeping the water clean without having to take the tank outside to clean? I know plecos aren't very good for turtles would there be anything else that could do the job but be safer if she ate them. ( she eats literally anything that moves) Thanks
vanessasmoots

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:57 pm   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

First you say "her" that's known for sure ? I like the fact you kept the name Richard , turtles do learn names. If female at full adult size will be 12" needing 120 gallons of water alone with basking area. At 7 plus years that 55 may be a little small. Is it all full with 55 gallons and a "ATBA" ? More water volume will make it better for her and easier for you to control. But for today how much water? What kind of filter and what kind of media used? Any gravel / rocks?

One do not feed her in the tank get a container with some tank water feed her there , no food waste in tank to clean , also let her poop in there to . They normally poop after they eat.
Any pictures of her and setup would help?
Do simple maintenance when in feeding container. Less stress on her.
Any Pleco any size in tank will add waste about what they eat so I would not in a small tank. Adult tank (120 gallons water) yes I would , the volume will help.
The filter you need for turtles should be 2-4x's that of fish they are messy. If you have for that 55 a filter for a 55 it is very under rated. And your turtle is an adult now. Most all filter are rated for fish gallons you need that 2-4x's for turtle gallons ! Say 2x's if a baby 3x's when juvenile and a must 4x's for an ADULT ! Any smaller you will need to clean every 4 or 5 days or more! Lets face it most of us hate the maintenance so a better / bigger filter will help in that area with the correct media. Not the media that came with filter in most cases being media for fish not turtles. Your 55 to me needs to have minimum of 220 flow rate with good media being small. After my 50 plus years in hobby I would have a flow rate of 300 gph for a 55 gallon tank minimum. At 7 plus years she has some size , even without pictures sounds like it's time for an adult tank ! I use stock tanks to save money but they not for everyone. It allows me to setup an adult tank once even for a baby and save all that money on each and every upgrade. I have seen people only up size 10-20 gallons at a time and every two years having to do it again. Money at the time is hard but they are spending very much more in the long run ??? My Piggley want some pictures of your girl ! He eats anything that moves too , the name ! "Piggley"
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:02 pm   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

Yes it's known for sure, her nails are very short and I've taken her with me to a nature center to clairify her sex. She does go on walks with me but her nails don't get too filed down. The 55 is almost completely filled up with water, I use 2 filters (one is currently broken right now so I'm using a different from normal. One is like a rock structure which is honestly a crappy filter but she uses it to bask and the other was a whisper 20-40 or something like that. I'm currently using an old fish filter for a 20g tank until I can afford a new higher end filter system. My uncle is giving me a larger tank I believe he said it was a 75 I'm not 100% sure but once I get a job I plan on waiting for the $1 per gallon sale at the pet store to hopefully get a 100gallon because she honestly deserves much bigger it's just hard now since I just turned 16 and not a whole lot of places are hiring.
vanessasmoots

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:19 pm   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

And my pictures won't upload but I do have an instagram account for just my pets called @nessasherps I have a few pictures of Richard and her setup on there.
vanessasmoots

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:28 pm   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

A better filter is definitely needed. My suggestion would be reading up on filtering, either here on the forums or on the main site:

http://www.redearslider.com/index_water_quality.html
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:11 pm   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

Sorry I don't use Instagram or facebook to see your photos. With the way's in 2017 even on this forum they and photobucket changed the rules for third party posting. Make one join and pay for third party posting. Not me ! I post from my own PC. You could do that just resize your pictures to about 816x612 and will post direct from your PC to forum.

I would guess that Richard (a girl) now is about 6" or more and that's a big bio load. That rock filter is truly just for looks / decoration and does not do much to clean the water. Also the hang on tank one is rated for 40 gallon tank (fish gallons) ? You are just way under filtered , so cleaning a must almost every other day. Get a bucket on wheels to help you with water changes or a long hose to drain out the door. Next tank place it somewhere for maintenance to be easy ! Just turned 16 that's great ! I started in 1963 when I was 8 , so I know it's hard.

What will help a lot is a canister type filter that does mechanical , chemical and biological filtering.
Most filters are rated for fish gallons not turtle gallons. And come with media for fish , must change media for a turtle needs ! As you know turtles are very messy and require 2-5x's the flow of fish for a healthy tank !
Example : babies 2-3x's flow that of fish , juveniles 3-4x's flow and adults 4-5x's flow also 10 gallons for every inch of turtle shell , this is also to help control the parameters of the water for a turtle health. Anything less and will be cleaning very often with a lot of water changes !!!
Your girl since 2010 is now a young adult and will get as a female 12" when full grown. Maybe little smaller depends on her DNA , just a little so she will one day require 120 gallons tank. Or you save a lot of money with a stock tank and used that saved money on a good filter ? Make it look as if an indoor pond as I do , I'm old now on a fixed income retired and need to watch my money . Look around on this forum I have several videos and lots of pictures , may give you some ideas on a stock tank ? Also google and click on images for ideas about stock tanks. You can make them look good and more like a natural pond for your girl.

Bottom line I would have to assume since 55 is full you have some type above tank basking area (ATBA) that's good if so ? More water for her to swim in. I would get a good filter one that will handle her next upgrade tank ( maybe her final adult tank ) down the road when you are on your own. Use that 55 full now and concentrate on saving for a real good filter that will work now and in the future tank ! A good turtle filter will help on all that maintenance. You will never get away from maintenance and water changes but a good filter if set up correct could let you go every other week on cleanings ! I use a FX6 today in a 150 gallon stock tank and only have to clean it every other week , could go three weeks but I do every two !!! Piggley's a male RES about 5" , you should see the claws on him bigger than my nails ! Before that it was all DIY filters that worked for me. Not saying a FX is the only way to go there are other good filters , just buy the biggest filter you can afford and use that 55 for now until you on your own ! At least something rated 220 gallons minimum ( for the 55 gallon) or more would be better so it could work in next tank upgrade !
You can do it , this hobby is great and turtles are great pets / friends ! I would have some in there 40's if Hurricane Katrine didn't take them , my car , house , all.... today it's only Piggley and me .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:09 am   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

Would the FX6 filter be good for all size tanks? Filtration is my main problem. Also it's baffling my brain that a turtle needs 150 gallons of water. My turtle is a little over a year old and I had her in a 40 gallon breeder tank and everyone said I'm ridiculous and excessive!! Also if i filled the tank up most of the way with water how would the turtle be able to bask if the lights are on the top? Litefoot I wish I could emai or chat with u on on one bc I as very confused and have spent so much time and money on a RES that I rescued from my swimming pool in the spring of 2016... I need assistance.
mbartlow

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:20 am   Re: Algae Eaters And tank cleaning.

I would think the FX6 is a bit much for a 40 gallon and a smaller turtle. It could be done but the amount of water is often overlooked. If you think about how much waste a turtle produces, you will see how important the size is. It's also nice to see them zip around their tank.

You will have to ignore what non-turtle people think, they just won't understand. For tanks filled up, you will need to have some sort of barrier and many people make one from glass, acrylic or whatever materials they have around. Some go a little further and make something called an "above tank basking area" (ATBA). They even make one commercially, though it's a bit small.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion