Feeding and Nutrition :: Help please

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:00 pm   Re: Help please

1) yes plastic ok , Piggley like's real so he get what he likes , who got who trained?

2) Just remember UVA and UVB need to be on both basking areas not UVA on one and the other UVB. The UVA entices them to get under the UVB.

3)Head size is good and twice a day is good only when babies. Also head size is for all day not at each feeding , that would be over feeding. Divide daily amount and feed two times as you do AM and PM. Also veggies every day say red lettuce a piece the size of there shell each.

4) Sorry I love my Piggley I show pictures to everyone : https://youtu.be/QA0LlS2d1Rc
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:52 pm   Re: Help please

Ok so putting like floating plastic plants in will be ok. The boy was trying to bit them when i had got a small one so i was scared and took it out. Yes we just have the uvb buld we cant seem to find the uva one but we are looking and have the heating lamp on also as seen in video put up.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:54 pm   Re: Help please

Ok grat thank you i will try anything. But like i said the boy tries to nip at them so i was worried and took them out
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 am   Re: Help please

Nothing pointy for safety , rounded works better. Turtles test everything with there mouths. Once they realize its not food and you are there food source things will be better and they both will warmup to you faster.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:15 pm   Re: Help please

Take the other turtle out and leave her to feed in the main tank.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:59 pm   Re: Help please

Who is to grow bigger thd boy or girl just wondering because my boy seems to be growing faster then the girl
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:03 pm   Re: Help please

https://youtu.be/tndBx22QMe0
This shows how big boy is vs the girl
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:12 pm   Re: Help please

Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:26 pm   Re: Help please

At this point, since they are so small, I wouldn't worry about the growing rate, unless the male is eating more than the female. Still have to wonder, though, if they really are a boy and girl, as we believe they are! I came to a realization today.. the "boy" and the "girl" I have are actually switched! The boy is a girl, and the girl is a boy! They're about the same size, but the claws on the "girl" are longer than the "boy", which has small front claws, so "she" is a boy!

And FYI females grow to be larger than males.
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm   Re: Help please

Thats what i thought but the one smaller one still doesnt really eat
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:49 pm   Re: Help please

Could be that the turtle is still adjusting and not completely comfortable. Could also be that turtle doesn't eat a lot, not a big appetite. If you are still concerned, might want to look for a herp vet that can tell you more.
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:13 pm   Re: Help please

Noyce , if still concerned and you tried all suggestions in other post do this // Get some pedialyte from the drug store , in a small container just big enough to hold turtle this is to save on wasting the pedialyte , mix 50/50 pedialyte and warm water same temp as tank water , also break up some stick food and let soak in it , let turtle soak in it for an hour. May eat some food that way and or if it even drinks some it's getting nutrition in. It works to get it's appetite back. Just mix enough to almost cover it's shell at a time. Nutrition in !

As rambologic said it may be the other way around.

I still say only true way to tell sexes in aquatic turtles are when they get sexually mature around sometimes 3" and others 4" , males actually reach sexually mature faster but females grow faster to me. Atleast in my time with hobby. If you had tortoise's yes you can tell this early but can not use those ways to tell about a tortoise on an aquatic turtle . Girl's grow much faster than boys !! Also girls get up to 12" and boys 9" when adults.
Last edited by litefoot on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:18 pm   Re: Help please

It has been 2 weeks. I am going to look in to vet just in case. Oh my god i didnt know that about size i cant wait to find out. Thank ypu everyone for your help
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:21 pm   Re: Help please

Those size's may vary a little but with good varied balanced diets and a good habitat and the DNA plays into it to but Yes !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:25 pm   Re: Help please

Oh , RES's can live to be 40-50 years old. If Hurricane Katrina didn't take my turtles would have some in their 40's to mid 40's. It's just a 4year old now and Piggley's in my will to be taken care of !
litefoot

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition