Feeding and Nutrition :: Won't Eat Veggitables

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:13 am   Won't Eat Veggitables

My RES, Al the Almond, is almost 2 years old (around 6-7 inches). I had not properly acquired the knowledge about his 75% Veggie diet until recently, and well, it feels as though it is too late....

So I'm currently growing a couple aquatic plants that would be found in his natural habitat to see if he takes interest in those, but I am hoping to vary his diet as much as possible, per suggestion and research.

Has anyone else struggled with getting their RES to eat their veggies? If so, any solutions/suggestions?
r4nd0m11

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:42 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

Some plants Piggley loves are : anacharis , hornwart , frogbit , water lettuce , hyancinth all I let float. I get all my plants free at the city park but wash well and quarantine them first. You should do that even with store bought plants ! Trying to root them Al will just dig them up , turtle's are just to curious. Some are floating plant but I float all.
Now I ask my grocery store the manager of produce if I can make a grab bag at an agreed price for my turtle , most will say OK and "my store" gives it to me free ( a neighborhood store). It will be a one or two time thing , until you find what Al likes. This is to get one leaf of everything on the list below to see what will entice him the most. The only real trick is patience on your part. It's not to late at 2 years old to get veggies in and is a must. Your turtle is not a baby anymore it's a juvenile and needs around 50% veggies and by adult will be on 70% or more for it's health. All protein will lead to all kind of health problems in older turtles.

Read this : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Turtles are like children that were allowed treats for dinner first. For Al before you feed any other food always start with the greens when he's the hungriest ! Stop what we call treat's ! They should only be offered one a month the most. Give him an hour to see if he eats any , then maybe two or three stick food only a day. Let say a leaf of red lettuce float in tank while at work if he changes his mine. The most for the protein side should be the head rule. I myself use the 2/3's rule a day not at each feeding , if you do it twice at 2" stop , only once a day , better in AM.

It's patience on your part and will not happen over night may take some time . But It Will Happen !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:17 pm   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

Also try a veggie clip, seems to help a little bit.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:05 pm   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

litefoot - thank you so much for your detailed response! so very helpful! As hard as it is to say no to the little guy (boy does he beg) im going to buckle down and do it for his health! I had put some anacharis in his tank, and like you said he uprooted it immediately. So I left the stalks float around his tank and im pretty sure i saw a couple greens poking out of his mouth once or twice. So alas! it IS possible!

steve - thank you for the suggestion! pardon me for the silly question that I could probably answer myself but is a veggie clip some sort of clip that would keep the veggies out of the water?
r4nd0m11

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:16 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

Yes when so small and cute it's hard! But they only get better at begging with age.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:44 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

It's a small plastic clip with a suction cup and you can position it anywhere, so part of the veggies you use can stay in the water but in the same spot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:13 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

Maybe litefoot or someone else can chime in: can you rub, say turtle food, or a treat, or a cooked piece of meat on the vegetable before serving it to them, to give them that appetizing smell? Just do it a few times, with less every time until they come to like veggies. Just a way to get them started.
rambologic

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:38 pm   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

Water from canned tuna is sometimes used for that purpose. It can get messy, so its sometimes best done in a feeding container.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:52 pm   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

I agree with Steve , only the tuna in water never type in oil ( oil not good for turtle) or you will regret it , a much bigger mess than type in water.
WOW !!! There's a crack and close bad electrical storm coming see you all later!
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:06 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

I'll be doing this too as bowser just shreds lettuce or greens and won't actually eat them.

Am I right in thinking dandelion greens are the weeds with the bright yellow flowers that turn to a fluff ball? Just the green bit though?
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:24 am   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

On the dandelions Yes !

Not sure what's available in the canary islands with your climate but this list can help : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Also I would offer the veggies first when hungriest than an hour later offer any protein. I also would let the veggies in tank all day so it can pick on any uneaten if wanted and remove at night. Do this every day and soon will be eating veggies . By adulthood will want more veggies!

Babies normally more protein , growing fast. Juveniles about 30-40% veggies with some protein. Adults 70% veggies and protein every other day.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 pm   Re: Won't Eat Veggitables

I can buy bags of lettuce with red lettuce leaf in and there's patches of grass with dandelions growing in it occasionally I can get easily but the rest I'll have to do some homework on
Newbie here - be gentle!
Bowser YBS

Return to Feeding and Nutrition