General Care Discussion :: Turtle Care

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:18 pm   Turtle Care

Hello i have keeping 3 turtles . 2 of them are around 1 and half year old and another is 3 months younger than others.
recently i moved them to a bigger tank ( around 100 gallon ) they are about 4 inch each. and as its a new setup i am trying with the basking area . and they donot bask properly in the new one.
i am getting a new and better basking area for them but as it is made by cement so i need to keep it in water for about 15/20 days ( as i was told to decrease PH).
Now my turtles are showing different colors and they look different . can any one please take a look at them and tell me what can i do . And what gender they are .
Aramis

Thanks
ashraful

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:24 pm   Re: Turtle Care

for some reason tiny url only takes one picture for me here another picture
ashraful

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:46 pm   Re: Turtle Care

Did you get them as babies ? If so at 1 1/2 years old they are growing to very fast , not good. Adjust there diet to the head rule or 2/3's head rule and at 4" should be on at least 50% veggies.

Turtles lose those baby color as they grow. Maybe the light being little different in new tank you just see more of the change ?

Sorry but a wet turtle picture does not show what's truly happening . Can you please dry off completely.

At 4" should be able to tell sex , need picture of front claws on each !

Soaking cement in water 15-20 days will not change the PH if any. It's all the chemicals in cement why they may of said to soak out. Problem those chemicals is what makes cement and 40 years later they are still there. We as turtle keepers are trying our best to keep thing like that out our tanks. Think more of a natural product for a basking area like cork .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:56 pm   Re: Turtle Care

litefoot wrote:Did you get them as babies ? If so at 1 1/2 years old they are growing to very fast , not good. Adjust there diet to the head rule or 2/3's head rule and at 4" should be on at least 50% veggies.

Turtles lose those baby color as they grow. Maybe the light being little different in new tank you just see more of the change ?

Sorry but a wet turtle picture does not show what's truly happening . Can you please dry off completely.

At 4" should be able to tell sex , need picture of front claws on each !

Soaking cement in water 15-20 days will not change the PH if any. It's all the chemicals in cement why they may of said to soak out. Problem those chemicals is what makes cement and 40 years later they are still there. We as turtle keepers are trying our best to keep thing like that out our tanks. Think more of a natural product for a basking area like cork .

They are almost 2 years old at this moment and not 4 inch yet . just a bit shy of it . and they donot eat veggie . like not at all . i tried few times not giving them any food for 4/5 days and then offering veggie they just spit them out. more than that i cannot let them starve . yeah lights been changed from 12 Watt regular LED to 30 watt flood LEd with booster ( their older tank was only 90 litter , now they have about 100 gallon )
all their front claw are really small no big nails .
i will get some pictures as them fully dry . sorry about that .
as far as i know cement keeps the alkaline as a binding agent . after the cement is cured it start to loose that. Like our underground tanks or overhead house tanks . they are created with concrete and after a while they are fully cured for storing water that we drink.( FYI it is more like a 3d background but instead the Styrofoam is coated to make pillar and bask area ).
thank you for your time tho . i will add more pictures asap
ashraful

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:36 pm   Re: Turtle Care

Try these for veggies : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

All protein for a juvenile or adult turtle is not healthy.

True about binding agent , cement tanks in my area are sealed first for human use , maybe that's just here. Cement is strong enough for use in days , water tank's , roads ... but full strength and cure takes maybe a year to be at 100 % still having an alkaline base. For me and me only I would be concerned what leached out in time. Different formula , different state , different country // That one is your call.

If all short even nails would be all girls.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:47 am   Re: Turtle Care

Not sure why you're having problems with pics, externally linked pics should have no issues.

From that pic, I would think that the turtle has some fungus on the shell but also in the process of shedding.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion