Feeding and Nutrition :: Help please

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:58 pm   Re: Help please

Not able to reach them ? That's why I use The Turtle Source always easy to get and they work with you if needed. Denise is very knowledgeable and if for some reason you stump her she will get Marc , he has the credentials ! Very good looking turtles !

Link your video on your next post.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:10 pm   Re: Help please

How do i link my facebook or how else can i upload video from my smartphone
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:11 pm   Re: Help please

Do you think if i called the turtle source if they could help me? And if i did do i ask for deniese?
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:24 pm   Re: Help please

Easiest way to link , go to the page on facebook is on , in the address bar right click mouse and hit copy then in your post right click mouse then hit paste , all done !

To me personally you did not give them the business , that's asking a lot. The guidance and info here is good from long time turtle keepers like Steve. I've only been on forum a short time but I have over 50 years in hobby with about 18 years as a Nature Center volunteer for some well known Herpetologist.

That one may/could need more time , patience is very much needed in this hobby. I had turtle's that would not eat anything orange ??? Who knows !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:26 pm   Re: Help please

https://m.facebook.com/jnoyce1/albums/1 ... =bookmarks.
Not sure if this worked or not bug if it did it is videos and pictures of the turtles
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:02 pm   Re: Help please

Sorry that's your sign in page.

Try to copy address of your video page only.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:13 pm   Re: Help please

Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:31 pm   Re: Help please

You got it !

That saucer is ok to use the sides are high enough to be safe.

Turtle look's ok from what I can see. How did you have them shipped to you? Only way I do it is overnight , any other way is long and shakes them up more. This one may of gotten shook up more than the other.

See pieces of stick food , have you tried any of the items on those links I gave you ? Greens , live anything on those list. Even if you got in connect with that store you used I'm sure they will say it ate for them and nothing they can do. I dealt with them that's why I use the Turtle Source !

Keep offering food do not give up and please try other than stick food until it starts to eat. Turtles are very picky and this one maybe more so , try other things off those list !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 pm   Re: Help please

Cute girl. Have you named your turtles? She looks like most hatchlings I've seen; scared, curious, adventurous. Litefoot's suggestions sound good, try making her more comfortable. Darker, less exposed areas for her. Have something for her to hide under.

I had my turtles in a plastic kiddie pool a few weeks ago. They acted very scared, trying to run up the walls to escape. They did this for hours, until I finally decided to try adding some hiding spots. That helped them tremendously. They will venture out when they feel safe, but at the first sight of you they run to their safe spot. Try it out.
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:04 pm   Re: Help please

I did try some greens and the boy nibbled and she didnt really. I have tried baby krail and even baby shrimp. We have 2 basking spots for them both of them where she can hid under it. I did upload 2 videos to youtube but waiting for them to upload. One of the boy thinking he is a dare devil already and one of tank
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm   Re: Help please

https://youtu.be/8hwcyge3Gk0
https://youtu.be/NwX2MlaH1IE

Yes i did name them the girl i call sketch and the boy i call him squirt(or nickname is chubby since he goes to town when he eats. She loves to go basking with the male and will sometimes climb on top lol.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:07 pm   Re: Help please

So you're sure Sketch isn't eating? I'd try maybe moving the male for a day or so, and leaving food in her tank, and then giving her privacy. She should eat it then, and you'd be sure she ate it, as she'd be the only one in the tank. She looks fine though, as she doesn't run frantically at the sight of you, and probably feels a sense of security with Squirt around. Plus, basking is a good sign. If they were very scared they'd stay in the water.
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 pm   Re: Help please

Look's like a good home ! Nice.

You have a light fixture over each backing area. Good ! What type of bulbs are in them ? Lighting is very important for babies ! Hope you have them on a timer , they need a day /night cycle !

Where do they sleep at night with lights out. If air as in night gets cool they will go to water to sleep and or rest being it/water should be 80*. Maybe offer some floating plants so they can play in , rest on or sleep in at night. Almost every baby I had wanted to sleep in water , make's them feel safe and less exposed. Anacharis and hornwort are two of the better type and grows fast , don't anchor them down ,take band off separate and let float. And watch your babies play in them. Also if they get hungry when you are out they will have a snack. Never seen a turtle get fat on veggies. Maybe your girl will eat some? She's eating something she looks ok. The boy may just be a big eater like my kid , yes my kid , hence the name Piggley he's part of this family. Make sure you keep him on a proper diet. Over feeding can be very unhealthy ! The girl just a picky eater. By juvenile's you will need a separate plant tank just to keep up with them.

Here's a picture of Piggley in part of his gardening :
Attachments
IMG_20170210_062930869.jpg
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm   Re: Help please

Yes the lights are a heat ligbt and then we have the uvb light. We usually have the lights on for 12 hours or so and then put this black light that i have heard is good for at night. We tried toone night to not have any lights on and when i woke up at 5 am for work the boy was on the waterfall ledge and she was hiding in the cornor by the waterfall under the water. I will have to try that. Will plastic ones be ok or no meaning plants. I am going to get them live ones but my pet store doesnt have the ones that are ok for them to eat and i dont want to get something that will harm them. I have noticed sometimes that after i try to feed her and then put her back in the tank and the boy is in there after awhile i will put a few pellets and sticks in tank and she will sometiems eat them if he doesnt smell them lol. I read to only feed them as much as there head is. How offten should i feed them. I am feeding them twice once in the morning and then at night. But when we have the night light on they will usually be sleeping under it on the basking platform. I am just hoping i am doing everything right i just dont want to hurt or kill them. Thabk you everyone for your help
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:45 pm   Re: Help please

With me, my turtles have always torn up the plants I have tried planting. They uproot, eat, and end up killing the plants. I have plastic plants for them to rest on and hide behind. Just beware of the cost with feeding them aquarium specific plants - the plants can be pricey! They look okay though. You're definitely on the right track!
rambologic

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition