Feeding and Nutrition :: Help please

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:55 pm   Re: Help please

That is how it is too when it is night time. The girl is really shy and trying to figure a way to help so he is not so scared or shy. I would love to hear if they write you back. Please let me know thank tou. I have seen the girl climb on top of the boy to bask. The boy thinks he can climb and i have caught him trying to climb into the waterfall that we have for them that they love the girl loves to go in the bottom of it to just relax and then climb out and go on the basking platform
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:01 pm   Re: Help please

Good reads and is based on sexual maturity.

I monitored for years at our Nature Center incubator's temp to determine sex. It does not also work out the way one would like. Scientific technology today has proven that each and every egg in an incubator may vary a little , even inside an egg it varies. Turtle eggs in well control environments have been monitored in the eggs moving slightly to a cooler or warmer spot of the egg which can change the sex outcome. Hope the outcome is correct that you want.

Not trying to say anything against your homework , just thought you may have something new we could all learn.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:06 pm   Re: Help please

Thank you everyone for all your help and information
. I will keep everyone posted
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:11 pm   Re: Help please

I would suggest giving her space, privacy and comfort for the first few months, while she gets adjusted to her new home. Having dark spots in the tank, like a dark cave (with 1 entrance) will help her acclimate. Gives her a place to hide. Your turtle may just end up being a shy turtle, although they will know who you are, and will be comfortable with you. They just feel more comfortable being shy.

1 year and half later, my girl is just as shy as she was day 1. But she does feel comfortable with me. When I take her out of the tank she will run around. Often run at me and either climb on me or snuggle up against me. She also hates it when I scratch her shell, she tries to bite me! But in the water, she prefers to hide and watch from a distance. Total opposite of the boy!

Litefoot, that's interesting. Several studies found on Google Scholar mention that Red Eared Sliders are a temperature-dependent sex-determination species. Not saying you are wrong, but it seems that these types of studies have been in progress for quite some time. They are experiments and theories, though, and not undeniable laws. I'm sure that temperature alone won't absolutely get you a boy or girl, but it seems that it's a big factor in several reptile species, not just RES.

Check this article out:

http://aerg.canberra.edu.au/library/sex ... turtle.pdf

And as an interesting side note, this study done shows that a gender imbalance occurred due to climate change, an interesting connection.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.2744/CCB-0670.1
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:32 pm   Re: Help please

I use to read a lot of LeBoeuf's work years ago.

Now a days you can read several article's /studies/what ever , half will go one way then the other. Always a book to say yes and one no.

Bottom line we should accept what mother nature gives us. She always has control unlike what we / humans want to control. Mother nature has been around a lot longer than us and does well on her own.

Noyce , in my five decades in this hobby I found that turtles as in humans have so many different personality's. Had a few that truly never warmed up to me and others were more like children with me. Even ones in there 30's showed different personality's . RIP 2005 / due to Hurricane Katrina. Today with my age and health it's just Piggley and me. He loves to be read to ! Any attention he loves. It's great !
Give your girl some time she may come around with patience. I know that's hard but it's worth it !
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:35 pm   Re: Help please

Is there something i can do to help make sure my one turtle who is scared that she is actualy eatting and getting what she needs. I did try to feed her alone and left her alone for like 20 min and i dont think she ate and scared
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:27 pm   Re: Help please

Try a few different foods and or some veggies. Most can't resist dandelion leaves. Tried any red lettuce ? Also from the garden a live worm or cricket , try a feeder fish you may have to stun the feeder fish so she can catch it or hold it by the tail. Turtles love live food ! Try this in a separate container and even place a towel over it to calm her down to feel safe. Have any can tuna fish ( in water only no oil ) try a small piece , even soak some stick food in the juice may help entice her to eat.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:10 am   Re: Help please

Great thank you
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:13 am   Re: Help please

How did you try to feed her? Did you take her out of the tank?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:26 pm   Re: Help please

Yes i carefully pick her up with hads under and around her so she does not freak out with arms and legs and put her into a saucer that i got for xmas that never use and it has room temp water in it and only give her a few pellets and let her sit in it for 15-20min but all she does is tries to get out. I even try to talk to her quietly to tell her its ok and ahe has to eat. Yes sounds weird but they are like my children so i sill do and try anything if it helps
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 pm   Re: Help please

Julie , from your post on 9th you said last Thursday a week ago you got them , that's the third. That's a short time for a turtle to adjust , the other was rare to adjust fast. Not all turtles adjust the same , some just need more time. Keep trying different foods even treats to get something in. Observe well that the other does not hog the food.

Do you have a dark color tote to feed it in ? May be scared of the saucer and it's not helping. If only clear totes or container put some newspaper around it or towel so it feel more comfortable / safe to eat.

Here's a list of some things you may have in house to try : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html

Also this may help : http://www.redearslider.com/entice_eating.html

The "water" in tank needs to be 80* for babies if to cool for that one may not want to eat. The basking area needs to be at 90* to entice basking and this also helps with it's digestion.
Last edited by litefoot on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:17 pm   Re: Help please

Yes it is a red one it is the picture that is on the first page. She just seems not interested. She tries to get out when pjt her in it. I will try a plastic toate to sed if that helps her. Yes did get them a week ago.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:27 pm   Re: Help please

The photo's on that page will not post to forum. You must be using photobucket ? They changed there rules on third party posting.

What does myturtlestore say about this not eating ? They have a guarantee for x amount of day's. Could / may be sick , ask them what they will do for you. That is before too much time goes by.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:30 pm   Re: Help please

I do have a video of how she is when feed her
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm   Re: Help please

I have been not able to reach them
Noycejulieann

PreviousNext

Return to Feeding and Nutrition