Habitat - Indoor :: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:32 am   Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

So I got a new Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank in preparation for Shelldon moving to where I currently live (Should be around October).

Only problem is, I just noticed a crack (Picture attached, It is the bottom one, the upper one is the reflection)... It isn't deep enough that it goes to the other side, it is about 1/8 of an inch long.

It is just so vexing, as I haven't even put water in the tank yet! I'm worried about how well this tank can support a turtle... I don't know how this crack could have appeared! I did accidentally bump that side, but nowhere near where the crack is!

Any advice? Is this something to be worried about?
Attachments
P8090004.JPG
Gerstein

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:24 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

Where on the tank is the crack? 1/8" normally isn't a problem (sounds more like a nick or scratch) but if it's new, you should replace it under manufacturer warranty or using the store's return policy.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:10 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

It is on the outside of the tank, on the left side, closer to the front of the tank, about 3/4 of the way up.

I will definitely see about warranty/store policy, but in the worst case scenario, based on your description, it doesn't appear to be something to fret over. More vexing than worrying.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:29 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

Ah! In talking with the store, it turns out it was just a silicon "bump"! totally normal. I thought it was odd that it felt more like a bump than a crack!

Well better to check and learn and be safe then to ignore it!

Thank you
Gerstein

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:57 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

If it is silicone, you can easily remove it with your finger nail. A bit of piece of mind is worth a lot :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:37 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

We all can use some luck at times !

Are you planning to fill all the way with an "ATBA" ? Keep us posted with photo's .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

At the moment, Shelldon has been doing well with the Oasis Turtle Ramp. It doesn't take up much space, as most of it is above the water and Shelldon can't chew chunks off of it like she could with the Zoomed ones. She is currently 6 inches Standard Plastron Length, so the water has been about 10 Inches deep. I was attempting to upgrade to a 50-Gallon tank, but the dimensions of the 40-Gallon Breeder Tank were almost exactly the same. If Shelldon gets much bigger, then an upgrade to a 75 gallon tank will likely occur. The move will be around October, so I can't provide pictures at the moment, as Shelldon and most of the care equipment hasn't been moved yet XD
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:08 am   Re: Aqueon 40 Gallon Breeder Tank: Crack?

If you look at 75 gallon tank, might as well go 90 (they are just taller). :) Glad she likes the ramp... my RES didn't care for it much.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor