Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:21 pm   Hello

Hello my name is julie and we just got two baby rio grande red ear slider turtles. They are a boy and girl. I have a few questions. Is it best to feed them seprate? Why is my boy digging in the gravel? My girl seems to be scared how can i help that. How long do i feed them the hatchling food that came with them. Why do they breath kinda fast. Sorry about all the questions this is first time with turtles and i am worried and scared and dont want anything to happen to them.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm   Re: Hello

You can feed them together, however, there is no way to know if they are boy and girl just yet. The 'boy' is probably just foraging, but you should not use gravel with them. The 'girl' probably just needs time to adjust. Avoid excessive handling/hovering and give them both some space. Where did you get the food? Might as well ditch it and pick up a good brand (Omega One) from the pet store. Not sure why they're breathing fast, do they have a basking area and areas to rest?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:39 pm   Re: Hello

Thank you for writing back. Yes they have a basking area. I got them from myturtlestorw in flordia. You can twll witch one is a boy and girl. I would post pics but it wont let me but i do have them on my fb page. They gave me some tiny pebles that is hatchling food. But i did get reptomin that has 3 foods in one and i have given them some of the mini sticks but broke them in half and a little smaller so they dont choke. What do i put in the tabk then if not gravel. Dont they want some place to bide kinda. They are babies like the size of a quarter maybe a little bigger but not much.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:44 pm   Re: Hello

Unless they are about 4" in length, you can't really be sure. Reptomin is fine, but shrimp/gammarus stuff should be only a rare treat.

How big is the tank? I would either keep it bare or try sand.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:39 am   Re: Hello

Edit photos to fit forum: Right click on picture , select edit , click resize to about 824x618 , save and use that photo will accept.

Bare bottom tanks are easier to clean for beginner's but I would offer some floating plants to hide in and rest on.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 am   Re: Hello

Is this the same way to do pictures with a smartphone
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:27 am   Re: Hello

Link them from your FB page or use a 3rd party host like imgur. Smaller pics can be hosted here as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:56 pm   Re: Hello

How do i link them i found the fb page and am following
Noycejulieann

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.