Habitat - Indoor :: Filtration - Floating Debris

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:37 pm   Filtration - Floating Debris

Hey everyone,

Posted a month ago about an issue with my XP3. I swapped it for the largest SunSun filter offering. That unit claims to have 525 GPH (doubtful) and I am using it in my 46G tank with 1 male 6" RES. Should be ample enough. The tank is very clear, but there's floating debris,mostly looks like turtle skin. Not sure why he sheds so much. Temperature in the tank is 78F verified with two thermometers. The spray bar is positioned on the opposite end of the intake. I recently added two air stones and pointed the spray bar towards the water surface but the debris remain.

What are my options with removing these? I think there is enough floss/padding in the filter. The XP3 kept these debris to a bit less I think, but maybe I am wrong. I've tried to include pictures but it is hard to tell.

Image Image Image
adam85491

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:20 pm   Re: Filtration - Floating Debris

What's the media layout like? I always see tons of skin in the XP3 when I clean it out.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:58 am   Re: Filtration - Floating Debris

Watch the water flow in tank sometimes with patients you can watch the debris just pass up the intake not even making it to the filter to do the job. The shape and size of tank with a larger filter ( larger GPH ) may need a little adjustment on the outlet and or the inlet so new filter can pick up that debris. I had to do that when I got the FX6 ( pump output 925 gallons ) water was moving so fast filter didn't have a chance to get it all. Little adjustment and all is good! Media placement for a turtle also will help , most filters come with media for fish.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm   Re: Filtration - Floating Debris

Steve,

In the XP3 I had the bottom basket with 2 coarse sponges followed by 2 finer sponges, a basket with carbon and nitra zorb, then bio balls on top.

That's dead now, so I have the SunSun which has four baskets I believe. I think the bottom basket was a few sponges of varying texture, the second basket had SeaChem and carbon and a floss pad, the third has nitra zorb and bio rings, and the last has just bio balls. I think that's what I did anyway. I rarely use the 9w UV sterilizer. The spray bar is pretty long. I can try to get a picture during the day since those night ones didn't work out well.

Adam
adam85491

Post Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:49 pm   Re: Filtration - Floating Debris

So it's not picking up the debris on top of the water? You may just have to net that stuff out..
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 am   Re: Filtration - Floating Debris

I might experiment with the layout, could be the sponges aren't that great either. Is the debris in the water consistent? I sometimes get junk from the tubing pushed out when I re-prime the filter.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor