Urgent Care :: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 am   My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

Hello my turtle is almost 23 years old and he's 21". Lately I discovered that although he stays in the water for most of the time, but his shell becomes dry and kinda flaky. For the past week, I have been feeding him homemade jelly shots because he rarely wants to eat veggies and also because I saw sign of pyramiding. Anyway, when I was cleaning him today and dry him off, I found out on both sides of the turtle there are some parts that looks like it peeled off or it broke off idk?? It's kinda pinkish. What do you think that is? I'll provides you some pictures. And also at some moments I caught him stretching his legs out and they seem tense (also provide the picture). Pls help me out! Thankyou.

Info: I forgot to mention that he recently has a wound on his the downside of his leg because he scratch it by himself.

Webp.net-compress-image (1).jpg
pink

Webp.net-compress-image (2).jpg

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Webp.net-compress-image (3).jpg
iestyles

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:03 pm   Re: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

The pinkish area on the shell is a bit of an issue. Does it feel rough?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:20 pm   Re: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

steve wrote:The pinkish area on the shell is a bit of an issue. Does it feel rough?

it doesn't feel rough it's hard like a bone. do u have any idea about the first aid? i gave a diluted betadine solution and trs to dry dock him for a while.
iestyles

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:49 pm   Re: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

Do you have a clearer pic? It could be an exposed bone layer. As for treatment, I would want to know what exactly you're dealing with first.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:29 pm   Re: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

steve wrote:Do you have a clearer pic? It could be an exposed bone layer. As for treatment, I would want to know what exactly you're dealing with first.

it looked like this i think it kind of getting bigger

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

i just remembered that a couple days ago my cousin put him on my backyard and it is possible that he scratched his shell with the wall

Webp.net-compress-image-1.jpg
iestyles

Post Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:50 am   Re: My Turtle Shell Becomes Pink (Possible Wound??)

Yea, that looks like an exposed layer. Hopefully that's not infected so I would keep it as clean as possible, as well as your tank water. In similar situations, that layer will come off too and leave some flesh exposed that will scar up and heal.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care