General Care Discussion :: New RES owner, CL rescue, tons of questions !

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:23 pm   Re: New RES owner, CL rescue, tons of questions !

Can i ask why you say to avoid using it. I got it from the pet store it is calld black nightlight bulb incandesent reptile lighting. It helps keep the tank warm at night.
Noycejulieann

Post Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:33 pm   Re: New RES owner, CL rescue, tons of questions !

Some info covering the topic here: http://www.redearslider.com/lighting.html
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:32 pm   Re: New RES owner, CL rescue, tons of questions !

steve wrote:Some info covering the topic here: http://www.redearslider.com/lighting.html

So, building off of this, I too am curious as to why exactly a blacklight (that only produces heat) at night is not recommended for the turtles. If it put out light that'd be a different story, as I assume it may be enough to keep the turtles awake. From my understanding:

1. Turtles have a sleep cycle, just like you and I. You don't necessarily want to entice them to bask when they should be sleeping.

2. If the black light is only producing heat, it will not adequately heat the water in the tank. You would need a water heater for that. So providing the lamp for "heat" isn't necessary.
rambologic

Post Posted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:30 pm   Re: New RES owner, CL rescue, tons of questions !

For me it's my job to imitate nature as much as I can when I make a pet a captive animal indoors. In nature it cools down some at night and if a turtle sleeping in the ambient air on a log get's to cool he will jump in the water that maintains heat longer and finish his sleep. Day / night cycle is important and both UVA / UVB off at night for Piggley. Being indoors I do offer a water heater and keep it around 75-78 all the time year round.

Noycejuieann , a black incandescent reptile light is more for bearded dragon's and lizards than an aquatic turtle. Each reptile has it's specific needs . Sliders are diurnal ! Yes your rio grande may sleep but is it a good sleep. Turtles hide problems well even to a Herp Vet.
litefoot

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion