General Care Discussion :: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:11 pm   Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Hello everyone,

I just got these 2 (what i expect to be) Cumberland Sliders.

I believe they are about 3 weeks old.

Turtle1 (photos attached):
Shell Length: 3.5 CM (1.37 inches)
Weight: 8 grams

Turtle2 (photos attached):
Shell Length: 3.0 CM (1.18 inches)
Weight: 7 grams

I am curious to know the following:
1. Are they really CBS or YBS?
3. How to guarantee their age?
4. Their gender?
5. Have they started Pyramiding? Because their shells appear triangular to me but i do not see any individual scute that is bulged.

Thanks,
Attachments
t2.4.jpeg
Turtle2
t2.3.jpg
Turtle2
t2.2.jpg
Turtle2
t2.1.jpg
Turtle2
t1.4.jpg
Turtle1
t1.3.jpg
Turtle1
t1.2.jpg
Turtle1
t1.1.jpg
Turtle1
nisho5

Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:07 pm   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Now a day's with so many color patterns and all the morph's to me has a little hybrid in it but YBS.
Age "guarantee" , no way unless you hatched them yourself.
Gender? Once sexual mature at about 4" is the best way to tell , some around 3". Seen Vet's get duped on some babies in my time.
No pyramiding , that triangle shape is normal.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:37 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

litefoot wrote:Now a day's with so many color patterns and all the morph's to me has a little hybrid in it but YBS.
Age "guarantee" , no way unless you hatched them yourself.
Gender? Once sexual mature at about 4" is the best way to tell , some around 3". Seen Vet's get duped on some babies in my time.
No pyramiding , that triangle shape is normal.

Thanks, amazing news :D
nisho5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:59 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

I agree with litefoot, just wanted to add that you have amazing looking hatchlings!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:48 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

steve wrote:I agree with litefoot, just wanted to add that you have amazing looking hatchlings!

Thanks Steve,

Anything else is much appreciated :D
nisho5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:25 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Just something to watch , second photo from top on turtle #2 almost under your index finger. Between the 3rd and 4th vertebral scute's , looks like just a little fungus? Use a soft tooth brush ( a child's soft brush is softer than an adults) and gently see if it comes off , something to keep an eye on before it could get worst. Make sure they are basking well and under good UVA and UVB light to help prevent this from getting worst.
Remember hatchlings shell's are slightly pliable but if it smells and is mushie then other action will be needed. Baby turtles need heat and UVB light 12hrs a day and both off at night for a good sleep. Also water heater needed to maintain consistent water temps at 80* for them ! Basking area needs to be 10* warmer to entice basking.
Last edited by litefoot on Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:48 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

litefoot wrote:Just something to watch , second photo from top on turtle #2 almost under your index finger. Between the 3rd and 4th vertebral scute's , looks like just a little fungus? Use a soft tooth brush and gently see if it comes off , something to keep an eye on before it could get worst. Make sure they are basking well and under good UVA and UVB light to help prevent this from getting worst.

Yessss. I wanted to ask about that too.

So, if i brush and comes off, what does it mean? and what if it doesn't come off?
Should I use anything on the toothbrush? or just like that?

Thanks sooo muchh
nisho5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:01 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

I was editing when you replied sorry.

Just the tooth brush for now , could /may be algae but looks like fungus. That why proper basking setup is needed.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:19 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

litefoot wrote:I was editing when you replied sorry.

Just the tooth brush for now , could /may be algae but looks like fungus. That why proper basking setup is needed.

I will definitely try ur suggestion. But in case it doesn't wear off?

I've read that shell fungus is cured by applying Iodine (Betadine) solution with a Q-Tip.
Any advice on that is appreciated.
nisho5

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Yes that is used to clean it first then in the old days we used Neosporin ( very thin layer) and dry docking over night for a week. And Yes Neosporin is an antibiotic not a fungicide but most have it at home and I rather start with something than wait day's for a RX and it gets worst. The best is silver sulfadiazine but need a RX for it in the US and instead of waiting days to get it I start with the Neosporin. The faster you catch it and start treatment the easier it is to cure.

Also please copy/paste / answer in some detail these questions to better help : viewtopic.php?t=2142
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 pm   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Since you have a hatchling, be extra careful handling them as their shells are softer. Silver sulfadiazine will take care of a small infection quickly, so it would be worth getting it if you have access.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:05 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

1 more question about lighting.

I am kind of confused about light bulbs and their features:

I found the following:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS-50 ... st=ae803_2

Does this lamp also produce UVA? and in general, is this a good choice?

Thanks
nisho5

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:27 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

How are you coming on those questions , answers will help a lot for the health of your turtle ?

How big is your turtle?
How long have you had it?

What is the water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer?
Are you using a water heater?
How much water is in there?
Are you using a water conditioner?
Are you using any filtration?

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light?

What have you been trying to feed it?
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window?
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?

In the US we use 120 volt , screw base is an E26. "E" indicates an Edison screw base and 26 is the diameter in millimeters. Also on the UVB most use at lease a 5.0 % for sliders . Even a 10% and ones with very large setup something like Mega Rays with almost natural sunlight.

Your link shows an 27mm which may need a fixture that size for overseas. Also more for nano setup. Sorry but I assume you not in US. Also only 3.0% which is more for bearded dragons than turtles but if it's all you can get better than nothing.

Please work on those questions . The more info we have the better we can help.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:54 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

I will make sure to answer all those questions in full details later today.
But the urgent thing for me now is the Type of the Light.
The previous link claims that it gives UVB and UVA. is that true?

I found this one which which claims UVB in 5.0 or 10.0, is this a better option? Does this mean i need another UVA lamp?
I just want to understand the differences now at first.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ultravi ... st=ae803_2

Thanks so much for your help
Last edited by nisho5 on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
nisho5

Post Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:55 am   Re: Yet another CBS's. General Questions

Also this one, which claims UVB and UVA?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Reptile ... st=ae803_2
nisho5

Next

Return to General Care Discussion