Habitat - Indoor :: Old equipment donations?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am   Old equipment donations?

Hi there! I was a regular here many years ago. I am no longer a turt mom but I loved this forum when I was.

We had moved away from my town a few years back. We just returned. Walking down the street, in the window of a Chinese take our place, I see a RES In a tiny bowl in the window. Struggling to break out. He wasn't tiny, ponbabyl five inches. Barely room to turn let alone awim. Inside the restaurant is a kid I see every day, sits there after school and now it seems most of the day watching tv. He's about 10. I asked him if it was his. And he proudly said yes. I told him a bit about what it needs and he looked more and more downtrodden. Disappointed he hadn't known, of course but this could be a chance to open a mind! Anyhoo. I don't see his folks buying him squat. I thought I'd see if anyone has old tanks/heaters/etc they aren't using. I'm on Long Island in NY. We lost everything in Sandy or I'd donate mine. Now my hubs is out of work (it's been a great few years...lol!) or I'd buy it all myself!

Anyone local and willing to part? I imagine the kid would be too happy to do the right thing, and the parents wouldn't mind a nice tank in the restaurant...?

Thoughts?
PS--excuse typos. My phone is cracked! Can't see the screen well!
Thanks!
2 Mutts, Bella and Bocephus
2 RES, Herman and Lily (Munster)
kikicool

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:34 am   Re: Old equipment donations?

That's a great idea for local's to part. Maybe a Go Fund Me account for him ?

PS : I had one called Cousin Itt back in the 60's / lost to Hurricane Betsy 1965 R.I.P.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:20 pm   Re: Old equipment donations?

I like your approach :)

You might find some cheap or free stuff locally on Craigslist.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:05 pm   Re: Old equipment donations?

Thanks for the ideas! Kingbird, thanks for all that work :) I'm going ton contact and ask if they want to donate anything. Because hey, ya never know! IF not...I'll try the gofundme method! :)
kikicool

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 pm   Re: Old equipment donations?

litefoot wrote:That's a great idea for local's to part. Maybe a Go Fund Me account for him ?

PS : I had one called Cousin Itt back in the 60's / lost to Hurricane Betsy 1965 R.I.P.

:( Stupid hurricanes. Yours was an Addams. Mine were Munsters. Odd...
kikicool

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:33 pm   Re: Old equipment donations?

Boy what a pair we make naming our kids !

Don't even ask what Hurricane Katrina did right at 40 year later 2005 ... today it's me and Piggley quess were that name came from. The grandkids watching the Jaker's cartoon " Adventures of Piggley Winks" said the mischief he get's into and eats just like Piggley , so the name !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:57 pm   Re: Old equipment donations?

litefoot wrote:Boy what a pair we make naming our kids !

Don't even ask what Hurricane Katrina did right at 40 year later 2005 ... today it's me and Piggley quess were that name came from. The grandkids watching the Jaker's cartoon " Adventures of Piggley Winks" said the mischief he get's into and eats just like Piggley , so the name !

Ha! Love it! One of our dogs is a Hurricane Katrina rescue. Poor dear, we moved him up here, got him over his issues and then, Sandy hit. Suffice it to say, he doesn't like water, thunder, and barks at anything the wind may blow the house. One thing's for sure: turtles aren't NEARLY as neurotic!
:lol:
kikicool

Return to Habitat - Indoor