General Care Discussion :: Female red eared slider advice?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:17 am   Female red eared slider advice?

Hi,

I have had my female res for just over 2 years now, She is between possibly 7-10 years old. The last two summers She has laid eggs fine and showed major signs that she was gravid (I think this is the right term). Is there anything I could do to help promote egg laying such as diet or something else?

She's currently on a diet of green leaf or Boston lettuce( depends what the store has), turtle pellets, meal worms, goldfish or sunfish ( live, gives her a chance to work for her food ), stawberrys and other berrys ( rarely, it's a treat), I also give calcium not with every meal though as she will refuse to eat if she notices it or cuddle bones not whole one I break it into pieces ( don't want to over do it)

Any other advice too would help, my state has some strict pet laws and restrictions on almost everything, that I didn't know about so I'm trying make sure I have everything as perfect as I possibly can, I have seen many things about how they take away people's reptiles being taken away or "destroyed".
1 RES ~tank~ female 6 years old
3 dogs ~Adrienne, Hollywood and Rocky~ 7,3, and 8 years old
1 cat ~Fiona~ Siamese, 2 years old
4 fish ~Jake, Lady, Demon and Cake~ 2, 1,5 and 1 year old
MeganDorcy

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:03 am   Re: Female red eared slider advice?

Aside from plenty of UVB and calcium, I'm not sure what else you can do. Does she have place outside to lay them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:36 pm   Re: Female red eared slider advice?

steve wrote:Aside from plenty of UVB and calcium, I'm not sure what else you can do. Does she have place outside to lay them?

Yes, I take her outside in the field by my house. She hasn't showed interest in digging, mostly just sunbathing. Last year I took her outside daily and gave her several different areas and she ended up laid them in her tank, even though I was taking her out side for and hour or two a couple times a day.
1 RES ~tank~ female 6 years old
3 dogs ~Adrienne, Hollywood and Rocky~ 7,3, and 8 years old
1 cat ~Fiona~ Siamese, 2 years old
4 fish ~Jake, Lady, Demon and Cake~ 2, 1,5 and 1 year old
MeganDorcy

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:20 am   Re: Female red eared slider advice?

They have a preference or where and probably when during the day. I think certain weather conditions, not just temperature play a role. I would use that info to anticipate the best time to take her out, but I know its tricky.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion