Habitat - Indoor :: Is 20 amp circuit enough for all things tank-ish

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:43 pm   Is 20 amp circuit enough for all things tank-ish

At the house I live at now I will pop circuits if I run all tank equipment off the sockets on the same walk. I am electrically ignorant. I am moving to a new house and have a chance to get circuitry set up correctly. So...
For two FX6s, MVB, a heat lamp (basking area #2), two 24 inch double strip fluorescent lights and two heaters, is one 20 amp circuit enough? Yes. I can do the math, but I am just seeing if there is a wizard who kinda already has a general idea :)
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:02 pm   Re: Is 20 amp circuit enough for all things tank-ish

Most older homes only had 15 amp lines that carried 1800 watts , could see popping that with everything else in that room / circuit. Some , new homes do have 20amp circuits for receptacles , did you specify for 20 amp receptacles ? A 20 amp line carries 2400 watts which is within that capacity. It's the wattage drawn that causes the problems. Now a days most all receptacle in one room are on the same circuit. It would depend on what else is on that line in that room ? Being new home talk to contractor and specify on that wall / area you want at least one "independent" 20 amp line / receptacle for your turtles. Even two independent lines would be great , one for each setup that will give you a good cushion and room to grow. Then you can dedicate those two circuits for anything turtle . Ask to install good GFCI on both.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:03 pm   Re: Is 20 amp circuit enough for all things tank-ish

Thanks! That helps. The house is old and the sockets are all hodge podge, ungrounded, no GFCI etc. Since I can't be in two places at once we are having a contractor do the electrical tweaking before we get there. He suggested an independent circuit for princess Penelope's set up. We just wondered if 20 amps would be enough. There is a second breaker box with plenty of room, so I think I will take your suggestion and get two. I will have him just 'bury' the old ones that currently hang off the archaic original box and never worry again. I appreciate the info.
"I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights"
~ "Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories" by Dr. Seuss ~
penelope

Return to Habitat - Indoor