Habitat - Indoor :: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:37 pm   I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

So if I needed to choose between UVA or UVB light, which is more important? Can I get a bulb that contains both? Also do turtles know when it is time to stop basking? A while back I had a soft shell turtle and sadly the little guy sat in the sun too long...
JordanRice

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:20 am   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Both are important because they do different thing !
Yes you can get one bulb that does both but they are normally for large setup and cost More ! Like Mega Rays !
Turtles know what's best for themselves in basking. It's our reasonability to offer a site large enough so he can move around on to get varying temps , not one so small he can only get on one spot and cook. Improper basking area setup is why some turtles refuse to bask.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:57 am   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Also don't use a powerful bulb for small turtles, and use a flood-style rather than spot.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 pm   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

My turtle is about one inch in diameter right now and I am using a 60w bulb. Is that about right?
JordanRice

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:41 pm   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Could be if at right distance.
First you need a good and accurate thermometer to read basking area. I found IR type very accurate ! I have a draw full of other all with different readings , even digital not accurate.

That's a baby you have , it needs water at 80* and basking area at 90* !

Second is the bulb an incandescent type ? If so take a temp reading on the basking platform , see if you have to lower bulb or raise it to read 90* Don't get too close , 8" lowest I would go , if you can not achieve 90* on basking area use a 50-60 watt "flood" type and start over on readings. Never use a "spot" light puts to much light and heat in a small area !

Here's a good read : http://www.redearslider.com/hatchling_tips.html

That's for the UVA (heat) what are you going to use for UVB ? That's also a must.

Any photo's Piggley wants to say Hi.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:09 pm   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Okay so quick update here...

I was able to purchase an 8 1/2" ceramic clamp lamp as well as a daytime UVA bulb. The bulb was around 7$ at a local walmart. But no matter where I search, I cannot find a UVB bulb. Not at walmart, not at meijer, not even at my local aquatic pet store. Am i going to need to order one online? How much do they cost? And how urgent is it that i get one? And also, (a lot of questions I know, sorry) will I just need to change the bulb between UVA and UVB like halfway through the day or something if I only have one lamp? And last but not least do I NEED a nightime bulb?
JordanRice

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:04 am   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

For a simple bulb that produces heat and UVA, you can use a regular incandescent bulb. I would probably return that if you could. I have not looked for UVB bulbs recently but you can easily find them online... something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-25156-Re ... B00A8RI8TK

You don't need one immediately (especially if you are using a good brand of pellets) but you will want to get one soon.

You do not need a night time bulb, they prefer to sleep in darkness.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:50 am   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Do not change the bulb between UVA and UVB halfway through the day. Easier to use a timer for the UVA and UVB for about ten hours each day , both "on" at the same time. Remember they both do different things. A regular bulb will not do both , "specialty bulbs" like a Mega Ray's will do both and it to needs to be on about ten hours a day also. Steve got your other questions.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:27 am   Re: I NEED HELP WITH MY BASKING SETUP

Thank you guys a lot
JordanRice

Return to Habitat - Indoor