General Care Discussion :: lamp to close to basking area?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:49 pm   lamp to close to basking area?

Hey im a i first time turtle owner so all of this is new to me and i was just wondering if i had put the lamp to close to the basking area and if i positioned it right thanks :D

heres a picture: http://imgur.com/a/3AXdF
bambooshoots

Post Posted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:32 pm   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

Probably a little more over to the left. Keep in mind that fine mesh screens will block out some of the UVB. Welcome to the forum!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:58 am   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

Also the manufacture gives on the box or instruction on placement distance for each size or % bulb sold , such as : http://www.redearslider.com/downloads/r ... ctions.pdf
Note this is for a #10.0 UVB ! Each type has different placement. The burn in distance is different than the regular distance please read up on that please.

Also the UVA (heat) has it's direction's too.

As Steve said with that screen you will lose (blocked) some of the UVB rays !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:58 am   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

i have the 5.0 uvb and the instructions said to keep it 12 inches away from the basking area without a screen but i am using one so what should the distance be?and was also wondering if uvb lights could give my turtle any eye irritation cause ever since ive added the lamp shes been blinking alot sometimes closes one eye for a good 7 seconds :(
bambooshoots

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:35 am   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

You have a zoomed mini dome with a polished reflector inside. Normally a compact CFL is recommended. Did you get a Zoomed Reptisun 13watt #5.0 UVB? Something sounds off at 12" ? There instructions here : http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Media/PDF ... struct.pdf

Or what brand and type and size do you have ? Are you looking at the burn in distance or normal distance after burn in ?

Also the UVA puts off white light on most , what size and wattage is it. If you are trying to put a 100 watt UVA bulb in that same fixture with the #5 UVB [ it the UVA bulb will be too close and have problems] . Could burn turtles eyes. A UVB #5 is set close , a #10 would be setup at more distance and other types even farther away , then you when using a double fixture must balance that distance for the UVA wattage. That's why a lot of long time turtle keepers use separate fixtures to control lighting better. It can be done in a double fixture But you must balance both bulbs to the distance !

This is me and me only " I am not saying for you to use , only an example , the tank setup is different :

with my #5.0 UVB at 8" I have a 50 watt UVA
" " #10 UVB at 20" I have a 75 watt UVA
And so on , I have different lighting for different size tanks.

One thing I will say if you keep that screen top I would put any "UVB" about three to four inches closer than the recommended distance due to what is blocked by the screen. Unless some charts give the distance "for" screen cover already.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:45 am   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

im using a 5.0 13 watt uvb bulb and a 50 watt heating bulb and about the distance i think im planning on getting rid of the screen and just going with the zoo med hanging reptile lamp as i think it is too close and if i lower the water it doesnt give my turtle much room to swim.
bambooshoots

Post Posted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:03 am   Re: lamp to close to basking area?

Good plan. Also get a good thermometer to read the basking area. I found the IR type to be very accurate. I have a draw full of others , all with different temps , even digital's are inaccurate. To entice basking that area needs to be 10* warmer than the water.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion