General Care Discussion :: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:40 pm   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

wonderful! thank you so much! I told my girlfriend we're going driftwood hunting soon - we live near plenty of rivers, and should be able to find some sooner or later, and then the process begins! I'll keep y'all updated, though this part of the project will likely take quite some time. thanks again for all the info!
buddrowwilson

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:25 am   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

Watch out for water Moccasin's !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:34 pm   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

I still have quite a ways to go regarding decorating and revamping the ATBA, but for now it's up and running. I expanded their ATBA flooring and added a rock cave thing after reading that they prefer varying temperatures for their basking areas. So far they seem very happy!
Attachments
newtank2.jpg
newtank1.jpg
buddrowwilson

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:48 pm   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

Coming along nice !

You need to get some ceramic sockets for the lights , in photo looks like plastic ! Safety first ! Before a problem from all that heat. Also bulb's will last a little longer in a ceramic socket.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:35 pm   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

good to know, will do. this socket is an outdoor rubber one, and is the one i've been using for years, but I'd rather be safe than risk it.
buddrowwilson

Post Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:58 pm   Re: New turtle addition + Tank upgrade questions

I was an inspector for the "NFPA" National Fire Protection Association 27 years. You would be surprised how many fires from overloading light sockets. Regular ceiling sockets are only rated for 60 watts and come with a warning ! Seen fires where people used 100 and 150 watt bulbs in one rated 60 watt. Only need to happen once and some learned with a loss of ...
litefoot

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion