General Care Discussion :: Turtle Aggression?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:59 pm   Turtle Aggression?

Sorry for this stupid question but

My turtles started fluttering each other since last week. I believe they are both males

One is more passive and one is more aggressive

Passive one:

Aggressive one:
^He has really long claws, pretty sure hes a guy

Yesterday the more aggressive one bit the passive one in the feet, and kept using his claws to shove away the other turtle in the face when he is swimming, also smelling the passive turtle's butt

Is it wise to separate them? I wonder when I can put the aggressive one back in the tank, as I don't have a lot of space for two tanks :(

This is my setup:
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:56 pm   Re: Turtle Aggression?

There's a very good chance you will have to permanently separate them. They are becoming sexually mature. Different personality's , aggression you have the signs... Two males together are a problem , it will get worst ! The test flirting will turn into fights or worst ! That's a very small tank they are always in each others face. If you had a 50 gallon or larger with a lot of hiding place that may buy you some time. But In the end you will still have to permanently separate !

No water heater , no heat lamp , no UVB lamp ???
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm   Re: Turtle Aggression?

Litefoot is correct. You might have to consider rehoming one if you cannot do anything about their situation which will only escalate.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:19 am   Re: Turtle Aggression?

litefoot wrote:There's a very good chance you will have to permanently separate them. They are becoming sexually mature. Different personality's , aggression you have the signs... Two males together are a problem , it will get worst ! The test flirting will turn into fights or worst ! That's a very small tank they are always in each others face. If you had a 50 gallon or larger with a lot of hiding place that may buy you some time. But In the end you will still have to permanently separate !

No water heater , no heat lamp , no UVB lamp ???

I'm about to get the lamps this week!
I have a water heater but since it's summer now and extremely hot so I don't put it in :D
suzanna8767

Post Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:27 am   Re: Turtle Aggression?

Make sure to read box instructions for placement of "each" bulb , very important !
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion