Habitat - Indoor :: 150 gallon build begins

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:20 pm   Re: 150 gallon build begins

I'm using a Maxi-Jet 600 pump, could use a more powerful one though. The tubing is 1/2" and I don't use any other fittings... it slips right onto the pump. Since I'm lazy, I take care to make sure everything is tight and that the filters/heaters are off. I also use some clamps to make sure the hose stays in place so it doesn't more/slip/spill since it's about 30 feet from the sink and I can leave the room.

If there is a lot of free floating things in the water, you might need some sort of prefilter like litefoot has. My setup is just for quick water changes.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

What happened back on 5/22 when you plugged it in ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:08 pm   Re: 150 gallon build begins

Sorry haven't had a chance to post any updates. been busy with in class training for new job. Haven't posted anything cuz i'm not happy with the current setup. didn't think things through with the basking platform frame and realized it created a huge current deadspot that also is obstructed from light which ended up collecting all the duckweed and water lettuce. lost about a 1/4 tank area of lettuce cuz of that. plus the turtles are kicking up the moss and making me constantly fix things by somehow managing to dislodge the perforated foam tube prefilter causing a few handfulls of moss to get sucked up by the filter where I had to open up the filter and clear out all the moss and fix the pre filter. i'm now either thinking of using 2 metal bars that will span across the tank width wise and have the basking platform just sitting on that instead. Will have to make the ramp a bit longer so it can reach the water from the higher spot but that should solve my current deadzone problem that's killing my floating plants, but will not solve my problem with shaded areas that plants seem to end up settling at. I would prefer to rather have the basking platform sitting on the side of the edge of one of the corners of the tank so I can make a pvc light bracket that will span lengthwise across the tank and be able to provide light for all the plants in the tank.

20170603_194306.jpg

No floods yet *knock on wood*. the k1 is finally beginnign to cycle. I had to ditch the 8" air diffuser disk and ended up going with multiple 2" air diffuser balls. Still need to pick up 2 more to make a square formation in the brute so that all the media will cycle. Right now I have 2 of the 2" balls plus a 12" marina air stone which is utterly useless. Will be donating that to my dad's fish tank instead. The 12" air stone put out much less bubbles than the 2" balls and doesn't even disturb the water half as much as the balls

20170603_194324.jpg
WMah

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:16 pm   Re: 150 gallon build begins

Are you using the FX nozzle or have it open , just the rib hose pushing water down? Why not get a ridget tube insert in the rib hose have it long enough to go all the way down the brute. Have a cap at the end and drill holes in it to create a pattern ( like a spray bar ) to help the air stones move the K1.
Make sure you have enough holes to equal the 1" hose so not to create back pressure on the filter. Or not so many you lose pressure to move the K1. More air stones are just more to clog down the road. You don't need any more air to keep the good bacteria healthy. Let the FX help move the K1.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:54 pm   Re: 150 gallon build begins

currently using just the fx nozzle with some nylon fishnet to prevent backsiphon of the media when the fx6 stops pumping. I'm not sure the fx output has enough pressure to be able to cycle the media with the nozzles right now it's pretty much only used to get the water in the brute. I do have some extra 1" pipe left over so may try the diy spraybar option. thanks for the suggestion. What do you mean more air stones are just more to clog?
WMah

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:31 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

You will need to clean those air stone on a regular base. The best of them clog ! Impurity's in the air will clog them on the inside and bacteria in water on the outside. Less output ! Adding two more means cleaning more (4) . A bitch ! Only way to get them back to as close to 100% efficient is to scrub them well then boil them in water 15-20 minutes. I found open 1/4 airline tied down in the tank works better , you don't really need air stones. Use that header bar that comes with the air pump run 4 separate open lines instead of stones and you can see what happens. With the K1 moving around by the FX say in a circular pattern ( if you make a spray bar )and the air moving K1 up and down you should get all the movement you want. Placing a air filter inline helps : But then that's more work and still need to clean anyway do to the bacteria that will grow in the porous material. Open end worked for me.

You are trying to move "clean" media it's too buoyant , once it get a little brown neutral buoyant (with bacteria) it will move 10x's better with less air !
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:39 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

where do u find accessories for 1/4" lines? this was the issue I had with the original giant 8" air disc I ended up shelving. It was using 3/8" tubing and while i was able to find a 1/4x1/4x3/8 Y adapter, it was difficult finding stuff like check valves and manifolds with 1/4 or 3/8 outputs
WMah

Post Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:25 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

The manifold that came with it was no help ? Has 6 outlets with valves.
Look outside the box : Store that supply painters gun accessory's , pneumatic tools , lab supplies ...
With a good quality air line you can stretch it. Not a Walmart type. Instead of adapter I would first slide a piece of heat shrink on 1/4" line oversized to fit new size. Heat up line , stretch it out , anything round or like a center punch , keep heating and stretching until I got it were I wanted , attach to connection, for reinforcement slide the heat shrink over it and heat that to tighten connection. Worked for me years. All I used to heat line up was a good hairdryer a heat gun got to hot.
I hate check valves , watch line placement and no need for any at least to me. You can even mount air pump higher than tank and run lines down. I had my air pump on the top shelf of a cabinet not sitting on the floor where it could siphon back if a problem came up.

Ever fix problem with floating plants ? Ever see a floating feeding ring. I make something like that to keep plants in the place I want. I use poly foam backer rod (kind used to weatherproof windows ) make a shape use small fishing line and tie it to the holes on top of rim at the reinforcement post. Yes you turtle may get a plant out here and there but for the most part it works.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:33 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

the manifold are all 3/16 connectors and too small for 1/4" i guess the shrink tube idea would work. but the stuff is finally cycling and i'm able to turn down the pump some more. I'll just leave it as is until i need to replace the stones then Ii'll try the spray bar and open hose method with shrink tube.

I haven't looked at the floating feeding ring but all my floaters are pretty much gone. i think either turtles ate them at night (i never see them even touch plants during day) or they whithered away. surprisingly i think my turtles are eating all the hornwort i'm throwing in too. i think once i get my platform to be above tank and get rid of the bottom frame it will solve both my java moss and floating plants issue. I'm going to have to buy another 2 large portions of moss for the tank since it seems the turtles aren't interested in eating it but just like making a mess with it. I just want enough moss to cover the entire bottom of tank so the guppies will have places to hide. i'm growing hornwort in 2 of my fish tanks and a shrimp tank so i hope it grows fast enough that I can toss in a good amount that would be able to grow as fast as turtles wreck it haha. I may add a small circulation pump by my filter intake so that moss will be kept away from the pre-filter
WMah

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:33 am   Re: 150 gallon build begins

I use a wild Hornwort out the city park it's much more tougher than that flimsy store type but they still eat it with no problem just a little slower. An yes I quarantine it for a week before it go in the tank. Having a 70 gallon plant tank helps keep up with them.
litefoot

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor