Habitat - Indoor :: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Thank you Litefoot, I will be having this page open as we put this together tomorrow (or Sunday). At this point I think we might be getting the 125 tank sooner rather than later which makes me happy too. I've been told to start looking so I am. I think the idea is to just do all this once and be done but we'll see. The idea on the hoses is great too I never thought of that.

I'll be happier not having to replace filter media as often as I do and using this FX6 for the 40 gallon, it will be cleaner and I won't have to do filter replacement as often just a cleaning of them.

I swear Link has grown since she got into her 40 gallon, she seems so much bigger already!! She is really loving just floating/treading water and has mastered the art of swimming in reverse and every time she does I hear a back up beeper sound in my head LOL

When I get this new filter set up I might try a bit more water and see how Link takes it, I know she did not like it when I filled the tank more than what level it's at (over half full) so I took water out, Link settled down and I haven't messed around with the water level since. But since she's become a super swimmer and seems more confident in a "real" tank I might see how she reacts - if she flips out, water will be taken out - if she seems good with it water stays.

I'm not going to add anything further into the tank right now (like rocks or driftwood etc) as Link has been through enough changes and I don't want to over stress her. She is still not used to me (my hand yes) so I will wait a few more weeks before doing anything that could upset or stress her out further. I am setting up a "live" food tank in the next week or 2, using one of the old tanks for that and the old Fluval filter but I'm not rushing on that just at the moment.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:41 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

See you got this ! Link will love you all the more. It is worth it , the relationship you will have with Link will grow and grow !
By next week I'll be asking you the questions.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 4:46 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

FINALLY got the Fluval set up, what a job that was!! We HAD to cut the hoses to size because of how we have it set up BUT will just buy a new hose when we get the 125 tank. I forgot when I read the book that came with it that it would run for a minute, then shut off then on again then off for 2 minutes so I totally panicked until my hubby said "it's supposed to do that" LOL

Link is NOT happy with the new filter - she's clinging to the intake part since she went back in. I'm sure she will adjust, poor girl has been through so much in a short bit. BUT she has GROWN for sure, she's far bigger than she was when she was dumped at my door a few months back that's for sure.

I'm not doing anything further to her tank for a bit, I want her to settle in with the new filter system before I upset her world again adding things - plus I find she's a bit fussy and particular about "what" exactly goes into her "home".

I'll post some photos of the new set up soon as I can.
Rylanda

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:40 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Keep in mind you can try different flow angles also forward or backwards on the nozzle and even try it with no nozzle or crank the "outlet" valve down a little on top of filter. Sometimes what we think would be the best flow pattern is not always what our friend likes. Do your observing and Link will tell you what she likes best. She has you trained now , just listen to her. Small adjustments at a time then she will let you know when its right.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:22 am   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

If Link is particularly aggressive or curious, you might want to make some adjustments to turtle-proof the intake. If she were to knock off the cover, it could be very dangerous.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:24 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

I'm playing with the outlet a bit, moving it around and changing flow - she's still not impressed at all. The intake she did climb on the "cage" thing once but hasn't touched it since.
It doesn't seem to be keeping the water as clean as I thought it would. I do use the vacuum I got free every day and still the water doesn't seem as clear as I'd like it. Is there different media I should look at getting? I truly do not want to dump the tank every week to keep the water clean. It's not even been a week and as I said even with daily cleaning/maintenance it just seems the water is "cloudy".

I am contemplating setting up a smaller tank to feed her and let her do her "business" in as I've read others do I'm just not sure what to do at this point. (sorry I'm just frustrated I thought this large filter system meant for a 125 would stay cleaner than it is)
Rylanda

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:44 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

Even if you did not use the vacuum and used the old time method that is [ stick your hand in gravel and just stir it up making a big mess that filter in two hours would have it crystal clear]

Exactly what is the media setup you have and how you placed it. When you break it down take a picture of all three baskets side by side may see something. Mark them only for photo , top , mid , bottom.

My water is so clear neighbors have asked ask how I hung that in the air they don't see any ropes. Looks as if my dry dock is out and above the water it's so clear. I now have 18" of water in stock tank ,photos from top down to where Piggley sit's on bottom are crystal clear and cell phone only has a 4 megapixel camera.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:03 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

I put the filter together as the directions told me to but there isn't anything in the bottom basket where they recommended Peat or other things as I didn't have them at the time. Would that be making the difference? I will post photos when I take it apart later today.

I have zero gravel, no rocks, nothing but a bare bottom tank and of course her basking spots. I have to wait for someone to help me move the filter so I can take it apart, I can't lift it out of it's spot on my own (back issues) - it's not that heavy I just can't do it solo.

If I have to get something like this "(Carbon, Zeo-Carb, Ammonia Remover, Peat Granules, etc" what is best or recommended?
Rylanda

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:09 pm   Re: Link and her 40 Gallon!

See page eleven , Utility drain. I had a longer hose than one supplied and I drain it out the front door. ( much lighter)
No peat unless your PH is over 8.5. And driftwood would be better anyway. RES's don't really care about the PH not important. Peat will tea stain your water if you do not remove the tannis correctly. If you were breeding Discus that need a 6.5 ph than yes ! Tuttle no !

The setup Fluval recommends is "their" way mainly for fish.

LOOK here our site for the FX5 media setup ! The FX6 wasn't around when printed but the same idea.
It's a good setup and calls for a blue pad on top (fine pad). Will help keep bio media cleaner but clogs faster being fine and little more maintenance , it works very well ! Myself I use the black pad on top and for me works well to , I only have to clean every three weeks and I could go four weeks if I wanted . This recommendation is a media setup for a turtle ! Picture says carbon OR purigen , I have found using carbon AND purigen is better. Carbon and purigen in media bags is all you need ! Both do two different things and work's great for a turtle !

Go to this link : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=30145

Carbon and / or purigen in media bags is all you need ! I would do both. Both do two different things and work great for a turtle !
Carbon removes dissolved contaminants , chloramines and chlorine , oders etc...
Purigen is for organic removal , helps control ammonia / nitrite / nitrate ...
Together will give you crystal clear water along with the FX6.
I buy carbon in bulk on sale and purigen can be regenerated !

Stay away from that peat , zeo-carb , ammonia remover. Let your tank cycle correctly and it will help. I also remove the red baskets to give me a little more room for Bio media. Being you are bare bottom , no sand or river rocks for the good bacteria to hold on to I would use this sites setup (lots Bio media ). When you clean that Bio media use tank water to clean it , tap water will kill all that good bacteria.

PS : Remember we talked about flow for that small tank , did you crank the Outlet valve down some for that small tank until you get the 125?

Also lots to remember as a beginner keeping a log / diary it will help. Make charts for water , items , whatever. Fifty something years later I still do , something simple and it helps especially if a problem comes up on what you did. Keep track of bulbs , media etc...
Attachments
IMG_20170602_170445489.jpg
litefoot

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor