Urgent Care :: Eye Infection *Yikes*

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:53 pm   Eye Infection *Yikes*

Ok i just noticed this today. I looked at my turtles eys today, and one of the eys looks like it is starting to swell up. He only opens it half way and I see him scratchin at it sometimes. I have him in warm salty water right now. I check his eyes everyday. And this is the first day i saw it kinda swelled up. It isnt very bad at all but i think it is an eye infection of somekind. It isnt puffy but he can only open it halfway.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 6:14 pm   Cool

Well I just checked my turtles eye again. It seems that the salt water got the swelling to go away. I didnt think that i would be able to see the difference For a little while. But now all the swelling is gone (there wasnt much to start with). I am hoping that the potential eye infection has been eliminated. I'll keep you guys updated.

And by the way. My sister told me she was showing her friend my turtle yesterday. My sister has really bad hygien too so i dont know wat to say. I dont know if they picked him up or not. I am gonna have a serious talk with her about other ppls property! :evil:
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:03 pm   

eye infections are from a lack of vitamin A. get some "Cod Liver Oil" and gently swab ur turts eye with a q-tip if it flares up again.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:14 pm   Vitamin A

Vitamin A hu. Ok is there any way i can include more vitamin A in his diet? Wat kind of foods are high in Vitamin A? I think i have some cod liver oil around here somewere.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:37 pm   

really??? omg cod liver oil is grosssss. but lucky for you eh? i dont know what foods have vit. A but I know the oil has it. good luck.
From the homegrowers soul, straight to his lungs. That's the method that I myself find fun. Start from seed and then you'll see, just how fun homegrowing can be.
da sAUCE!

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:49 pm   

Carrots are high in vitamin A. I use a carrot peeler to cut it into shreds. My guys love them.
The things that come to those who wait may be the things that were left by those who got there first - Steven Tyler
jenaero

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:16 pm   

Swollen eyes can be the result of a Vit A deficiency, but an eye infection is often the result of dirty water (and swollen eyes can be the beginning of a respiratory infection). Is just one eye swollen and the other looks normal? A salt water bath in AQUARIUM salt can be effective against fungus, but is irritating to the eyes.

I'd try a solution of 97% distilled water to 3% boric acid to cleanse the eye. You can also buy eye drops for this purpose (not that expensive). You could try the cod liver oil, but if you don't see any improvement after a few days, it's probably not a vitamin A deficiency.

You can safely increase the Vit A in your turtles diet by including foods high in beta carotene (which you turtle will convert to Vit A as needed) such as carrots, pumpkin, squash, dandelions. Adding Vit A supplements to the diet is tricky and potentially harmful because Vit A is toxic if overdone, and it's difficult to give the correct dose, especially to a small turtle.
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:52 pm   no more eye infection

I keep the water Really clean. The eye infection went away after i put him in the saltwater bath. No sign of it coming back yet.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:55 pm   

Is it possible his eye just got poked by something?
"You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." -Antoine de Saint Exupery-
marisa
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:56 pm   Could be

I think that might have been it. I saw him sratching his eys sometimes.
GouzlanTheAmerican

Return to Urgent Care