Habitat - Indoor :: Aquarium water changes, HELP!

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:20 am   Aquarium water changes, HELP!

I have had a turtle tank for about a month now, this is the first one I have ever had. Recently I cleaned the tank out with water and the filter tubes with a water/vinegar solution. Afterwards, the tank became so cloudy that I cannot see through it. I tried replacing half the water and that seemed to help a bit. I went to the local pet store and they told me it was because I used vinegar and cleaned the filter too well. He gave me a bottle of bacteria to put in the tank that is supposed to treat the tank for seven days, but it doesn't seem to be getting any better. He told me it was OK to put feeder fish, for my turtle, in the tank as well, and in two days all 24 of the fish were dead. My turtle seems to be trying to keep his head out of the water as well for the most part. Please help, I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
turtleini

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm   Re: Aquarium water changes, HELP!

All you had is an algae bloom from the water that's normal. We call it new tank syndrome. Vinegar not necessary to clean at this point. It's good when you have mineral deposits with age to get rid of. Correct way would of been to have tank setup a month before you got the turtle so water could cycle. In a pinch turtles are hardy and breath like us so it would not hurt it to go right in. A tank not cycled will kill any fish !!! That bottle of bacteria they gave you is ok but it only helps to cycle a tank not over night. Cycling takes minimum of four weeks to do it correct or longer depends on size and setup.
Find another LPS... a better one that really knows something !
Also did you use any water conditioner to remove the chlorine in the water? Do you have any carbon in filter to remove the chloramine ? If not you can burn the turtles eyes ! I'm going to give you a link on this site its under urgent care BUT copy/paste questions and answer in some details. Example : have UVB just don't say yes. give type size / % /wattage please.
This is NOT urgent but the questions will help me help you ! viewtopic.php?t=2142

Turtles are great but it sound like you have a lot of homework to do. Read the informational stickies on this forum will help , they are at each topic.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:24 pm   Re: Aquarium water changes, HELP!

Some more details will help... turtle size, tank size, amount of water, type of filter... pics are helpful too.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor