General Care Discussion :: My RES won't eat

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:40 pm   My RES won't eat

Hi, im a little concerned with my RES Koopa. I got him wednesday. He is 5 inches long I have him in a 30 gallon set up (just for now) complete with a dry basking area with a uvb and heat lamp. The water stays a consistent 79.0 degrees. And he has an 80gph filter. He is swimming perfectly no lopsidedness and no excessive basking maybe 3-4 hours a day. When I drop his food in (wardley reptile sticks I have also tried earthworms) he will just watch them float by and not eat. So im.not sure if it's just the new habitat that is stressing or or what. Please help.
Guitarguy99

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm   Re: My RES won't eat

Hello and welcome ,

Got him from a LPS or friend?
If a store chances are was not well taken of. They could have just gotten him in and have no idea when he ate last or what. Try a call and ask what they feed their turtles.
Have any red leaf lettuce in house , Any dandelion leaves from a yard , a little bite can tuna (kind in water not oil) He has to adjust to the new habitat and I would keep offering food he will talk when ready. Clean up what he does not eat. That's a small tank you may want the feed in separate container with some water to help keep main tank cleaner.
Can you answer these questions in a little detail it will help , (like "bulb" please give more than yes or no Type ,size and or wattage Please )

viewtopic.php?t=2142
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 pm   Re: My RES won't eat

The heat bulb is a 100 watt at about 6-7 inches away from the basking area. And the uvb bulb is a uvb 5.0 at 13 watts and the same distance away. The basking area is a consistent 92.0 degrees
Guitarguy99

Post Posted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:29 pm   Re: My RES won't eat

Correct placement for the UVB 5.0 @ 13watts. The 100 watt using for heat , you must be using an incandescent? A spot/flood type at that distance would be so much hotter and at 6-7" way to hot. Incandescent Yes ? Do you have two separate fixtures or a double ? Or could what ever you using to measure heat is off? In my 50 plus years in hobby I have a draw full of thermometers , half digital not one has the same reading , some up to 8* off ! I found the only accurate readings are from the IR type.
If truly correct reading that 92* is ok for a 5" turtle. If not you can hurt or burn his eyes !

Did you see the list of questions on the link provided , (copy/paste them) working on them please ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:09 am   Re: My RES won't eat

He started to eat today. He ate enough pellets to fill his mouth (if hollow) and I gave 1 pellet extra! Super excited he's eating!
Guitarguy99

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:10 pm   Re: My RES won't eat

Great to hear it! I would actually feed a bit less protein / pellets... maybe 1/4 or 1/3 mouth-size daily and offer him veggies daily too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed May 31, 2017 2:48 pm   Re: My RES won't eat

Good Koopa ! Once he connects you with food you will see the other side of turtles. Will never stop begging for more. Don't fall for that keep him on a well balanced diet and all will be good. A 5" turtle should be getting 70% veggies.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion