General Care Discussion :: Stopped Basking???

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 pm   Stopped Basking???

Hi...15 y/o RES... He's just stopped basking. About a month we took him to the vet and he got a regiment of vitamin shots. Since then, he's been interacting/eating normally, but no longer gets out of the water...up until now he's been a great basker.

While we've been trying to figure this out I have been taking him out...sometimes he goes back in on his own, but sometimes I have to put him back.

Any thoughts?
Happy Mommy to a cute little RES named Lego
sjreinman

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:32 pm   Re: Stopped Basking???

Was this a Herp Vet ?
You mean out the water to basking area or take him outside for sun?
How old is the heat lamp ? When old will still produce light but less heat.
Also how old UVB light ? Some after 6-10 months still produce light BUT No UVB rays !!!
How do you measure the temp on basking area? You could have ten thermometers all with a different reading. I have several put in a draw "digital" all bad. I found the IR type most accurate !
Today does he have a draft , maybe a new a/c in house and the ambient air temperature is different?
Is this same basking area you had back in 2012 , he has grown , may need to rethink it for his size. Turtles are very picky
Any new pets in house "cats" like the heat from the tank and normally get on top bothering a turtle ?

You have done well over the years "that's great" keep observing and look into above questions.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion