General Care Discussion :: Turtle not eating and only basking

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:50 pm   Turtle not eating and only basking

So I upgraded my red ear sliders tank like 2-3 weeks ago but all hes doing is basking not eating and white stuff is on his head above his eyes and on his arms and legs and hes been scratching his neck alot. I bought him a new basking platform and light but all he does is bask. Also his shell scutes are coming off could he be growing? thanks in advance

tank size 40 gal (upgrading soon)

turtle size 5-6 inches

light? yes and a uvb light

filter? yes

food a variety (carrots, lettuce, Tetra Reptomin Floating food sticks)

water conditioners Flukers eco clean

water temp ??? room temp

basking temp??? 60w bulb 15 inches away
jamiey5th

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:52 pm   Re: Turtle not eating and only basking

It could be that he is starting to shed and they do shed skin also.
But could very well be bacterial/fungus???
What % UVB or wattage or what type? What size and type filter? ??? NO water heater ??? Room temp??? What are basking temps themselves ? A 60 watt bulb 15" away is not good.
Please pictures of setup and detail pictures of you friend's head , feet , shell , eyes , all areas needed !!!
With your current setup and "not" a well balance diet your friend sounds to be in some trouble.
Other post you say he's 6-7" is this the same turtle , yes upgrade needed but his health first !!!

If you did or Not read the informational stickies above each topic Now is a good time to do so. Just from what you stated more time needs to be put into his setup and diet for a happy and healthy turtle.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:22 pm   Re: Turtle not eating and only basking

If he's basking a lot (hours at a time), the white could be just mineral deposits. Not eating is the main concern.... what are you feeding and what is the routine?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 5:36 pm   Re: Turtle not eating and only basking

He is eating now I moved his basking spot and hes being more active and eating he must of not liked where his basking area was or he is scared of heights Ill purchase a water heater and a bigger tank/tub and thermometer thanks for all the concern.
jamiey5th

Return to General Care Discussion