General Care Discussion :: Res clutches.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 pm   Res clutches.

How many clutches of eggs does a RES lay a year? my girl is on number 6 since February. She lays about 7-8 eggs each clutch, I have had to give her oxytocin at least half of the times, because I live in an apartment, and she's so fussy where to lay. Now Im out of oxytocin, (hopefully getting some more mailed to me). How many more clutches can this thing lay!? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Im actually a boy, Never changed SN's from my ex.
Since I ended up with the Turtle.

1 girl 10 years old.
lizamarie0686

Post Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:04 am   Re: Res clutches.

It varies but it sounds like you have a situation where it's over active. In that case, theres no way to predict how many/often :(
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 pm   Re: Res clutches.

of course she is LOL. She usually only laid around a couple a year.

One question, How long is it safe to let her go before laying them? As soon as she wants to or can I wait a week or so?

1 girl 10 years old.
lizamarie0686

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:18 pm   Re: Res clutches.

What do you mean let her go? I think only when the symptoms are present.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:25 am   Re: Res clutches.

sorry, I mean like when symptoms are present, and she's going crazy in the tank, how long can she wait before NEEDING to lay them before complications?

Its easy to get her to lay them with the oxytocin, she just lays them in the water, but she doesn't know she laid them, and will still act like she needs to, for 5-20 days after laying and there is no way to get her to stop even if I take her outside and she digs empty nests.

So, I'm asking to see how many days I can wait to take her outside to get her to lay naturally, so that I can avoid the oxytocin, and have her calm down the quickest, I just can't do it daily, as I work nights and sometimes I sleep most of the day.

1 girl 10 years old.
lizamarie0686

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:37 am   Re: Res clutches.

It's all very instinctive for them. From my limited experience, when she' going crazy is when to let her out. For how long can she wait... there is some mixed info in there, but since she is overactive, I would say the sooner the better because they will keep coming regardless. She might have a schedule as to what time/conditions she wants to lay them, so I would try to anticipate it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:10 am   Re: Res clutches.

I work nights and sleep days, work 6 days a week. so her conditions are pretty much limited down to my conditions. I do see now why so many people just let them go free. Ive had her outside for hours and nothing again. I can't just take 5 hours a day and let a turtle walk around outside and do nothing. :? :? :?

1 girl 10 years old.
lizamarie0686

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:10 am   Re: Res clutches.

I work nights and sleep days, work 6 days a week. so her conditions are pretty much limited down to my conditions per say. I do see now why so many people just let them go free. Ive had her outside for hours and nothing again. I can't just take 5 hours a day and let a turtle walk around outside and do nothing. :? :? :? It doesn't worry me so much if I do give her the oxytocin, she still acts crazy but at least she doesn't have any eggs.

Hopefully one day ill get an outside thing for her, and then she can just do her business when ever she wants.

1 girl 10 years old.
lizamarie0686

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:51 pm   Re: Res clutches.

I know it's not an easy situation. I've never heard or read what leads to having overactive ovaries, but this is one of those conditions that are very trying for pets and their keepers.
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion