Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 am   hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

I just got 2 turtles from petco about two weeks ago, theyre fun to watch, but theyre so shy and one always tries to bite me.
How long until your turtles got used to you? and, what did u do to familiarize yourself with them, because Id like to one day be able to play and stuff with them :mrgreen:
also is it normal for them to like not like you in the beginning cause im lowkey sad theyre so scared of me or hate me :lol: :oops:
Victardson

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 1:44 am   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

Once they recognize you as a food source, you're home free :)

Kidding around aside, they do have their own unique personalities, so one might always stay skittish. Either way, it's important they get some privacy as they adjust to their new home. One word of caution, if one or both of them are males (and you should know already if they are from Petco). then you will likely need to separate them in the future.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

actually petco wasnt sure if they were male or female either because it didn't say in the description , when I asked they gave me their best guess to what their genderes where based off of their tale and nail length. but yes im aware ill probably need to separate them in the future. Thanks
Victardson

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 8:23 pm   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

Hello and welcome ,
Petco honors the 4" rule , should be able to tell sex. What size home are they in? If small one will be territorial / aggressive. Are you feeding in separate container? If not make sure one doesn't get all the food.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:57 pm   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

theyre in a 38 gallon tank rn, and no I feed them together but I watch them and they seem to be feeding equally
Victardson

Post Posted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:39 pm   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

NOTE : aquatic turtles require 10 gallons water for every inch of shell . A tank for "ONE" needs 40 gallons water area Plus the land area / basking not a 40 tank alone Unless you fill a 40 gallon full and build an above tank basking area (ATBA).

And you have two ! Petco sells RES's so I assume that's what they are? Males get 9" and females get 12" so you are looking at big setups. And they grow fast.

Can you post pictures of the cloaca's and front claws may be able to tell and give a good estimate for a setup .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:48 pm   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

If at 4" and you cannot definitely tell it's a male. then it's likely a female. Also... always research pet store advice before you take action or buy something.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:06 am   Re: hey ! new turtle owner here, any tips ?

Even the smallest turtles should have a terrarium or aquarium no smaller than 29 gallons, no shorter than 4 feet long, 18 inches wide and 18 inches tall. If you don't have a filter, change your baby turtle's water daily. If you do, change it two to three days. Feed your baby turtle every day up to two times per day.
Rafat Mahmud

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.