General Care Discussion :: Activities/entertainment?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 1:28 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Sorry I threw an edit in on you. Any thoughts about the water area in his main tank?
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:52 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I think his tank is pretty interesting, given the size. I was thinking about giving him some sort of ball to push around in the water- I've heard some turtles like that

Kingbird44

Post Posted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:02 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I was always told ping pong ball's but never had a turtle play with one. I did have luck with balls that sunk and the crazier the color the more they used it. I accidently dropped an empty plastics flower pot 4" in with Mickey when he was small he just loved it . Carried it around , pushing it , flipping it , like his own rag doll. Who knows ! Only stopped playing with it when he got around 8". Then he wanted more one on one time !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 10:53 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

At risk of getting off topic: any reason not to put sand in the dry part of the enclosure? I was thinking sand in the kiddie pool with a little bucket / pond area. Problem is that I rent and I can't leave this outside most of the time, so I have to put it in my basement and then take it outside when I want to use it...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:46 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Does the landlord live on site ? Is this a complex or a single dwelling ? I would assume that you told them of the aquarium for Sedge. Seen complex's allow dog's and cats but no aquariums due to possible water damage. If landlord has pets may be more open to an outside pond / area for Sedge. Until you find out more I would keep it as lite as possible moving it back and forth. Those kiddy pools after being in sun awhile get brittle and moving it in and out may crack. If landlord says no to it ask if you can put a simple wire landscaping fence up with the bucket so he can be on the grass , small doggie fence , something more portable and easier to move and store. Always bring Sedge into a conversation with landlord , let them know Sedge is not just a pet and is part of the family. They may get into turtles and let you keep something more permanent outside. For you the more you put in it the more to move.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 3:37 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

It's a good place- I'm a grad student, and not too many places around here allow 2 cats + turtle ;-)

The issue is that it is a shared yard, and they contract the mowing. We have a large, sunny yard, but nothing can be there permanently or they will complain that we are in the way of mowing, I imagine.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:14 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

How about real simple. Setup and remove no one will have a problem.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Greenes-Common ... l/50076903

Use to make a circle two twist ties to connect , time to go in roll up put in your bucket all done. This would make a 30" diameter circle. If you want bigger get two that would be a 5' diameter circle. No storage problem either.

Then there's always the good old leash , I've done this at times. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/449937818998486038/

My Minnie was a sprinter , always fast , this was only way to control her. Started some interesting conversations...
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:02 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I've seen some people use a temporary pet cage/dog exercise pen for their turtles... could be useful as a quick setup that you can neatly store as well.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:16 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Haha the leash sounds fun. I already take my cats out on leashes so no reason not to further entertain my neighbors.

Actually, I bought some cheap gutter guards and zip tied them together to make a litte pen. I made a door in a bucket type container for shade, and made him a little pool out of half of an old cat carrier. Tried taking him out today. It was a hassle and mostly he just tried to escape. I think he's staying indoors for the time being... :-P
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:47 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

I think anything with a grid/screen will not be turtle-proof, they're too good at climbing.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:22 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

What do you guys think of this? There is one by me on Craigslist. I don't know how much he would even like being in there, but it would keep the cats out if I wanted to let him out in the house, too.

https://www.chewy.com/precision-pet-pro ... lsrc=aw.ds
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:18 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Looks ok but I think your turtle can still climb it and it will block a lot of the UVB when used outdoors.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Hmm good points
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:59 pm   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Leash....... if you like talking to a lot of people that will come.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 9:31 am   Re: Activities/entertainment?

Haha I don't think the leash will happen any time soon. I'm pretty sure Sedge would freak out.

I actually made an enclosure out of a large tupperware and some stuff. My phone broke so no pics right now. I think it will work well, although I'm not sure he really will like it (because he has yet to act like he likes anything if I take him out of his tank).
Kingbird44

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion